• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

En3my

time based modeling / animations?

This topic is 6303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently updating my Kill ''Em All game, and since I don''t see any reason locking the frame-rate I changed to time based modeling instead. Handling movement was pretty much straight forward, but I can''t find a good way to handle time based animations. I am trying to find something out right at this time, but I thought it would be a good idea to post here too and see what you guys can come up with. I used to deal with animations using a counter that increased every frame, and when that counter reached a set value I switched to the next animation frame. Now I can''t use that anymore (since I don''t lock the frame-rate), but I would like the animations to run with the same speed on all systems, just like I handle movement. Anyone have a good idea on how to implement this using GetTickCount or similar? Now I''d better get back trying to come up with something on paper, before returning to Visual Studio again... Thanks!

Advertisement
Yes there is no reason to lock to the frame-rate. This will severly limit you and the future of your engine if you ask me.

Take a look at cal3d. Bruno Heidelberger is doing a lot of things right. Blending, time delta (non frame-rate locked) stuff....

http://cal3d.sourceforge.net/

Code is clean and easy to understand.

-JT

maybe you could use a time-based counter... and use it just the way you used to use the frame-based one...

jakovo

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!