• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

javanerd

[java] GameFrame for Java 0.9.6 Release Candidate 1 Available

This topic is 6154 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, GF4J 0.9.6 Release Candidate 1 is available now at: http://www.gamedev.net/hosted/javanerd/downloads.asp This version should be quite stable and bugfree, but because of the huge amount of new and changed code I''d still like to let users try it out before making the official 0.9.6 release. Some of the new features from 0.9.5 include:
  • Translucent (semi transparent) bitmap support.
  • Sample format plug-in architecture.
  • Support for streaming sample data under JDK 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and MS Java.
  • PNG file format plug-in that uses the Sixlegs PNG decoder.
  • Drawing with java.awt.Graphics to backbuffer.
  • Bitmap skinned easily extensible GUI widget framework.
  • Custom cursors support under JDK 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and MS Java.
  • More modular approach (you can use only the parts of the library you want e.g. only sound engine part).
  • Memory usage enhancements, the library now tries to minimize the memory usage when loading new resource files (bitmaps, samples etc.)
  • Thread wait based timer that is taken into use if the granularity of the values returned by the System.currentTimeMs() method are found to be more than 10ms under the current runtime.
  • Possibility to create bitmaps and samples from programmatically generated data (no need to load the data from files).
- Pasi Keränen javanerd at geocities dot com http://www.gamedev.net/hosted/javanerd

Advertisement
I should post this as it''s own topic....

I have discovered a nasty bug in java applet audio when generating your own samples.... sun.audio that is!

Eventually at some point (after bout 30 mins) my applet would freeze solid. And when I ran it without sound no problems!

I suspect that the problem is to do with starting / stopping audio which some how allocs some resources of some kind which eventually get muddled.

The fix I found was to play an empty looped sound continually as the applet ran and stopping it apon it''s destruction. a value of 127 works best as 0 tends to turn all of your sfx into wibbles!

And then I had no freezing at all....

Not to sure if this is relevant to applications!?

:-)

haven''t tried it yet but can''t wait to get home to check it out.

Anyway, I was thinking of proportional fonts. javanerd you said bitmap management was an issue but maybe XML cound be a solution. Same for the sprites handling... In fact I just had a look at Scroller (from someone at JavaGaming.org) and it uses XML. Then ProportionalFont class just need to extend the Font class and as far as I can remember there is already the right methods : getLength(text) and getLength(char) or something similar to it.

Another question : do you plan to use the JDK1.4 Preferences API for configuration purpose (full-screen, default font, etc...) or is it too Java version dependent. Maybe there could be a Preference API substitute/wrapper for java runtimes other than 1.4

Last question (I promise ) : now that MS has definitely abandoned MS Java support in their latest OS, do you still plan to support it anyway ? I mean, before JDK1.4, it was nice to use MS Java G4F engine because of the fullscreen and so but now 1.4 has almost all these features (maybe there is still some problems like loading bitmaps in graphics memory). (In fact this quesion is just pure curiosity as my game is planned exclusively for JDK1.4)

Herve

quote:
Original post by silencer
I was thinking of proportional fonts. javanerd you said bitmap management was an issue but maybe XML cound be a solution.

This could work fine, but where do I find XML parser for JDK 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3? Or for MS Java 4.x? JDK 1.4 includes XML parser so there it wouldn''t be that big of a problem. Other things like level data etc. can be handled in the game itself and if the game is programmed only JDK 1.4 in mind then there is no problem. Of course if someone knows of (preferrably LGPL licensed) XML parser that works on JDK 1.1 then I see no reason why I couldn''t implement these features. Of course e.g. proportional font support can be made without XML...

quote:
Another question : do you plan to use the JDK1.4 Preferences API for configuration purpose (full-screen, default font, etc...) or is it too Java version dependent. Maybe there could be a Preference API substitute/wrapper for java runtimes other than 1.4

Haven''t had the time to dig into the Preferences API. But it propably is too version dependant, don''t know (yet).

quote:
Last question (I promise ) : now that MS has definitely abandoned MS Java support in their latest OS, do you still plan to support it anyway ?

I see no reason to discontinue MS Java support as long as there are people using GF4J with MS Java (I know two of such projects that are in progress). The support for MS Java isn''t that big of a deal anymore as most of the basework is done already and many things come "for free" from JDK 1.1 support.

-
Pasi Keränen
javanerd at geocities dot com
http://www.gamedev.net/hosted/javanerd

XML parser under zlib/libpng licence at :

http://nanoxml.sourceforge.net

It''s NanoXML, it weights only 6Kb and this licence seems to be free of use for comercial purpose and also free of modifications.

So my problem now is a copyright with Sun : am I allowed to take java.util.prefs source code and modify it to have it work with nanoxml and JDK others than 1.4 ? So anybody wishing to use preferences API under JDK 1.3 would just have to replace

import java.util.prefs.*;

by

import myprefs.*;

It would be useful for me even at work where I use the IBM Linux JVM which is 1.3. I get bored having to use two different API (one with System properties in JDK 1.3 and one with preferences with 1.4) just to do the same thing (parse command line parameters and read .ini config files).

Herve

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!