Win / Mac compatible engine to get things started

Started by
5 comments, last by Tony Sharp 12 years, 12 months ago
To make a long story short: I went to college for animation, spent the last 10 years doing photography, and now I'd like to do some game development.

I still know how to animate and make character models, so that's not a problem. But I know very little about programming, and my math is a little rusty. However... I am willing to learn C++ and Trig if I absolutely have to.

I've spent the majority of the evening researching game engines. For my first serious game I think I'd like to start with something simple like a 3D tower defense for desktop. And once I finish that, I'd like to do something a little more "involved" for mobile devices.

The ShiVa3D and Esenthel engines look very nice. They both run on Windows and Mac, and can produce very high quality graphics. But I was wondering if there were any other (maybe easier) options I should research and consider.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Look at Unity3D.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Look at Unity3D.

Thank you for the reply.

I checked out Unity3D, and was really impressed with the features, cross-platform abilities, and so on, but I had a hard time coming to terms the hefty price tag. :( That's a point I forgot to clarify in my OP. I'd like to get a game engine that offers a complete professional package for under $2,000.
I checked out Unity3D, and was really impressed with the features, cross-platform abilities, and so on, but I had a hard time coming to terms the hefty price tag. :( That's a point I forgot to clarify in my OP. I'd like to get a game engine that offers a complete professional package for under $2,000.

Unless things have changed recently, the pro version of Unity falls within your specified price range.

Also, in addition to the pro version, there's also a free version of Unity. The pro version has some features that the free version doesn't, but the free version is fully functional and might be worth at least taking a look at.

[quote name='Tony Sharp' timestamp='1303360752' post='4801084']I checked out Unity3D, and was really impressed with the features, cross-platform abilities, and so on, but I had a hard time coming to terms the hefty price tag. :( That's a point I forgot to clarify in my OP. I'd like to get a game engine that offers a complete professional package for under $2,000.

Unless things have changed recently, the pro version of Unity falls within your specified price range.[/quote]
On their site they list a different pro version for each platform. Unity Pro is $1,500, and iOS + Android Pro totals to $3,000. I can get the same compatible and features from ShiVa3D for only $1,500. I have no idea how it compares to Unity in terms of ease of use and stability though.

Also, in addition to the pro version, there's also a free version of Unity. The pro version has some features that the free version doesn't, but the free version is fully functional and might be worth at least taking a look at.
[/quote]
I assumed since the Pro versions were so expensive that the free version was completely stripped of features. :D After taking a closer look, I see I might have assumed wrong. I'll get the free version now.

Thanks!
Oh, sorry, I missed the 'mobile devices' part. That changes things somewhat.

But, the free version is definitely functional. Playing around with the free version a bit should definitely give you an idea of the engine's capabilities and allow you to compare it to the other engines you're considering.

Oh, sorry, I missed the 'mobile devices' part. That changes things somewhat.

But, the free version is definitely functional. Playing around with the free version a bit should definitely give you an idea of the engine's capabilities and allow you to compare it to the other engines you're considering.

After spending the last few days with the free version of Unity, I see now why it costs as much as it does. It's definitely the most refined and complete package for independent game development. It's very impressive, and I think I'm going to stick with it.

Thanks again folks for the help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement