geeks and kids as martyrs

wishes dreams ghosts
the neurosis of our ancestors
beat into our heads as childen
as we beat into our own in turn

coders artists gamers
arguing over trivialities
arguing for formality (in expression)
and they don''t think the jokes on them?

holier than though they act
in crystal palaces full of stones
waiting for the quad damage camper
to put them in their place

anything to save face
oh, what a waste.
Advertisement
I had to respond to this post. People, remember the medium that we are communicating on. The Internet extends all over the world. While the primary language on the internet and this site is English, that does not mean that everyone using the site grew up in an English speaking country. Not all of us have had English beaten into our craniums since we were in the womb. While I admit, at times I have no ability to tolerate bad English, I understand that many people do not have the same English backround that I may have. Its about tollerance folks. Deal with it. Politely correct grammar if you have to. If you do or say anything more you begin to sound like John Rocker of the Atlanta Braves.

Kressilac
ps Many foreigners won't be insulted if you help them get better at speaking English in a polite non insulting manner.

Edited by - kressilac on 1/6/00 8:42:07 AM
Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.
Actually, kressilac, I think most of the poeple making miss spellings such as learnt, are americans. I studied japanese for like 4 years, and in that entire time we where learning "correct" japanese (Tokyo dialect I believe). My point is that when you take a foreign language (i.e., American english to any non american), you tend to learn correct grammar and, in some cases, pronunciation. What tends to be lacking is idomatic expressions and what not. Foriegners are probably not likely to make a mistake like learnt, because learnt is based on dialectual (is that a word) pronunciation of learned (which foriegners would probably never know). Just my 2 cents (which with the original statement makes 4 cents, pretty soon I''ll have a nickle).
Write more poetry.http://www.Me-Zine.org
What a coincidence! I just wrote the Oxford Placement Test a couple of days ago. It's a test which determines how good you are in english (sort of).

In that test there was this sentence:
55. English is quite difficult because of all the exceptions which have to be learnt.

Is it ok to write learnt in brittish english or is the test itself wrong? Strange...

Edited by - Stefpet on 1/7/00 5:13:15 AM
Hmmm....I know the topic is about American English but the word learnt does exist in British English. Here is an excerpt from the Oxford Dictionary:

learn verb (past & past participle learned or learnt) get knowledge of or skill in by study, experience or being taught; commit to memory; (usually + of, about) be told about, find out.

I personally prefer to use learnt as the past tense because learned has another meaning:

learned adjective having much knowledge from studying; showing or requiring learning.

Hope that helps =)

Best regards,
Sherman
_________________ Best regards, Sherman Chin Director Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd www.Sherman3D.com www.AlphaKimori.com
Learnt seems to be a valid word as far as dictionary.com is concerned. Not necessarily the best source, but I''d make it a lot more reliable than people making inflammatory posts on a bulletin board.
Well I''ll be, it is a word. Anywaze, lighten up, get a sense of uhmor, it was a joke.
Write more poetry.http://www.Me-Zine.org
I think that the majority of the people messaging on this message board is NOT from the United States!
So, you should be happy to be able to read what the other is writing!

Oh by the way, this forum should be about game-programming, or???

Martin Hjalmarsson
programming@swipnet.se
ICQ# 22869599
Martin Hjalmarssonprogramming@swipnet.seICQ# 22869599
well im not saying i agree with the post but this forum is not just for game developement, it says at the begining IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE ABOUT GAME DEVELOPMENT!
"I have realised that maths can explain everything. How it can is unimportant, I want to know why." -Me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement