Idea for game

Started by
16 comments, last by MERKB7661 12 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I am one of the many people with a game idea! I really think GIRLS and other people will love it. I have written it down and now I am stuck. I have no interest in actually physically developing the game myself...I am not that computer literate. I would like Rockstar or EA to develop it, or a new developer, with my input. I want to be the voice behind the project I need someone who can help me talk to the right people and help me pitch my idea in the most appropriate way possible. I am broke. No money to invest, just ideas... keeping it real. Help please? Thanks.
Advertisement
There are multiple FAQ entries on that.

Read here. (Read the whole list, but the most applicable is Sloperama FAQ #1.)

Very short answer: Based on what you described, it won't happen.

Hello, I am one of the many people with a game idea! I really think GIRLS and other people will love it. I have written it down and now I am stuck. I have no interest in actually physically developing the game myself...I am not that computer literate. I would like Rockstar or EA to develop it, or a new developer, with my input. I want to be the voice behind the project I need someone who can help me talk to the right people and help me pitch my idea in the most appropriate way possible. I am broke. No money to invest, just ideas... keeping it real. Help please? Thanks.

If you really think it's a good idea, then become computer literate.

Why do you write girls as GIRLS?

Hello! Thanks for replying. I wrote GIRLS as I did because I am a girl and I have noticed that alot of the video games I enjoy playing are aimed at males. I enjoy the customizing aspect of many games, as do many of my girlfriends, but I also enjoy raci ng and violence at times. I feel that girls will enjoy this game just as much as guys. I have tried to read programming books and such, the language just does not click. I am not an artist by any means, so I do not delve into the technical development, I am interested in the creative dimension. I have an idea, I want it created...are you telling me there is noone who takes ideas from 'average joes' and turns them into games. I know it is not that simple and I have to get non-disclosure aggreements and things of that nature, but I just want to know where I can go to once I have all of the paperwork I need. If you have nothing beneficial to say...please do not waste your time or mine by commenting. Thanks.

[quote name='OtherWorldCreator' timestamp='1303750852' post='4802712']

If you really think it's a good idea, then become computer literate.

Why do you write girls as GIRLS?

[/quote]
Hello,

I appreciate you taking time out to respond to my post. However, your negativity is not welcome. If you were not some kind of video game programmer and you had an idea for a game, but not a computer or the means to develop it, what would you do? No need for trying to shatter dreams. Geesh!

There are multiple FAQ entries on that.

Read here. (Read the whole list, but the most applicable is Sloperama FAQ #1.)

Very short answer: Based on what you described, it won't happen.
I realize that these posts can seem negative, but you have to realize that there are many many people who come here with the same questions, so you can understand that the community can become quite jaded when dealing with the same question over and over.

The hard truth is that your comment is correct: "are you telling me there is noone who takes ideas from 'average joes' and turns them into games."

There is noone who takes ideas from 'average joes' and turns them into games.

Every average joe out there thinks he has the idea for the best game ever, and nobody simply has time to deal with all these ideas. The ideas are a dime a dozen.

If you want a game made, there's two options:

1) Make it yourself
2) Pay someone else to do it (talking hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars).

If you rule out the first one, than that leaves only the second option. If you rule that out as well, then your game is not going to get made. Sorry but that's the hard truth of life.
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game

Hello,
No one is being mean or negative here. Your post is no different than saying that you have an idea for a house and no money or skill to build it. You just want someone else to come and build it for you.

Doesn't happen. Ever.

If you want to get into the games industry, you'll have to work your way into it, and acquire the proper skills.

Failing that, you will need to get tons of money otherwise to the point where you can start up your own company.

Most companies can't take unsolicited pitches anyways for legal reasons.

The best option for you is to take a course at uni in English literature or business ( depending on which you prefer) and work as a designer/marketeer at a game development company, then work your way into a design position at a company.
Illustrate your ideas as detailed as possible. Send it to every publisher. If nobody responds, put your ideas on the web. Hope somebody picks them up. Mabye you'll get the credit for it. Forget about money for now.
Publishers very rarely take unsolicited game ideas or game design documents from the public. They do this for liability reasons. If you send in a game idea, and they reject it but later make a game that is very similar, it's grounds for a lawsuit (even if they never read your pitch). This has happened in the film industry a couple of times, and is why film production companies don't accept unsolicited screenplays.

Best of luck with your game idea. Female gamers are extremely underrepresented (especially core female gamers). Somebody needs to make games for them!
Will Miller | Game Designer | Big Huge Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement