• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
db123

why deferred shading is incompatible with MSAA in directx9[resolved]

This topic is 2611 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I learn about it is a restriction of implement deferred shading on directx9.... I want to know the reason about this.rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifmellow.gif thank you!!!laugh.giflaugh.gif

Advertisement
The problem is that the pixels in some of the deferred render targets won't contain values that will look correct when they are calculated as the average of several input pixels. Normals for example will often end up pointing in completely the wrong direction if you simply average two of them. This means instead of improving rendering quality MSAA can make it worse, as well as reducing performance.

The solution is generally to apply antialiasing in post-processing. You can find one way of doing that at http://www.realtimerendering.com/blog/morphological-antialiasing/

Two big reasons:

1. You can't enable MSAA when you're using multiple render targets

2. You can't access the individual subsamples of an MSAA render target

You need both of those things to use MSAA with deferred rendering.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!