• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
XDaWNeDX

[web] Web Hosting

This topic is 2554 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am going to start creating simple programs, and eventually simple games. However, I wish to share them with the entire world.

And the only way that I can think of to do this would be if I were to create a website and put it all up there, or make a facebook page. Although the website will probably have more viewers. I understand HOW to make a website, I have done many MANY years of web design, since I was about 10 years old. (so just about 6 now :D) I just never actually created a website that went public, aside from a school computer science project.

Anyhoo, onto the question. What is a GOOD web host? I plan on having forums, with active updating. (So if your viewing a topic and somebody posts, then the post will show without needing to refresh.) Pretty standard nowadays, but still thought I would mention it. I plan on having people upload files to my forum, and I will personally be uploading some programs I make. Basically, it needs to have high or unlimited (bull) bandwidth and high or unlimited(again, bull) disk space. Most sites do have these, though the ones that have other good features lack these disk space/bandwidth for some reason.

Personally, I am looking at hostgators, "buisiness" plan. Although, I do wish for a good and cheap webhost.
So yeah, what is a GOOD webhost. Of course, I will eventually move from a web host to hosting it myself. But currently I can only access internet at school, so that's not an option.

Advertisement
I'm on hostgator right now, the "Baby Plan," and I think it is great hosting. Big plus in using the Baby plan over something like Hatchling is I can host multiple sites and domains. As far as the Business plan.. unless you're operating some large scale business and need other full-time staff (anything other than a hobby site or blog), I'd stick with the simpler (cheaper) plans.

I host two sites on my $7 a month plan, flashcove.net (Flash Tutorials) and mephistogames.com (Flash Arcade), both with unique domains, both on WordPress, and both on the same hosting. You can do infinitely more sites too. There's room for your forum users to upload attachments, and from what I hear, bandwidth typically allows for 2,500 daily users on the Baby Plan, until HostGator yells at you and either kicks you off or makes you upgrade server plans.

All in all though, a nice webhost and one of the better ones out there.

Yes i saw host gator, although money doesnt matter to me, so a few extra things for a couple dollars more doesnt matter whatsoever.

I have found a good web host that I have been using for years. It is very similar to host gator but in my opinion is better. They give you basically unlimited everything and there is also a built in add on where you can install a php based forum automatically which might help you out and also a free domain name when you register. Hope that helps.

Have a look,

Web Hosting

I have found a good web host that I have been using for years. It is very similar to host gator but in my opinion is better. They give you basically unlimited everything and there is also a built in add on where you can install a php based forum automatically which might help you out and also a free domain name when you register. Hope that helps.

Have a look,

Web Hosting

Is that like a pre created PHP forum? Because I'll be making my own from scratch. Y'know, starting with a blank notepad++? It allows much more customizability I find, for a few reasons.

1. You coded it, YOU know what should, could, and will be changed.
2. It's your code, you know how to read it.
3. PLUS it's a better learning oppurtunity.

If you're not worried about cost, (mt) media temple is hands down the best host I've worked with, and other than them being more expensive than other options I haven't heard of any bad experiences; you get your money's worth for the extra cost. (mt) hosted sites are always fast and responsive (excepting of course errors in your own site software), there's no unexpected downtime, support is helpful and responsive, and they communicate brilliantly -- if any changes are to be made you will be notified well in advance, a grace period will normally be provided for any changes required, and they normally advise you of what you would need to do to make any required updates. Where possible they even allow you to opt-in to special-treatment to not be affected by a change.

I have had a client use hostgator without experiencing undue difficulties or problems, and from my brief time working to set up the site and what the client told me afterwards they provide a solid hosting experience.

[color="#1C2837"]Is that like a pre created PHP forum? Because I'll be making my own from scratch. Y'know, starting with a blank notepad++? It allows much more customizability I find, for a few reasons.

1. You coded it, YOU know what should, could, and will be changed.
2. It's your code, you know how to read it.
3. PLUS it's a better learning oppurtunity.[/quote]
[color="#1C2837"]
[color="#1C2837"]Based on your original post I would strongly advise against creating your own forum package from scratch. Your stated goal was to share the programs you're creating, not to spend time creating and maintaining something many others have already done -- is writing your own forum software really the best approach to that?
[color="#1C2837"]
[color="#1C2837"]If writing your own forums is what you really want to do then go ahead, but just be sure you're not doing it for the wrong reasons -- if the focus is supposed to be your other software then you're going to take a lot of time away from that by splitting your focus. A good forum package is also really hard to create and maintain from scratch, and there are some very good packages out there you can use for free. I would suggest you might be better off learning about and then customising one of those to suit your needs.
[color="#1C2837"]
[color="#1C2837"]
[color="#1C2837"]As I said though, it's all about your own goals, and if creating a forum is what you want to do then go right ahead, and I hope you enjoy the experience -- you will definitely learn a lot from it.

Oh no. Ive got the web development part quite understood. Plus, the main goal is to turn this forum into the forum for my MMORPG. And for that i would like a fully homemade forum. If i need help, then i would request help from a few friends or my uncle who is a professional web developer. But creating the forum is more important to me than releasing a few apps here and there.

Although, i will check out that (mt) webhost place, a recommendation from a guy with a monkey for an avatar MUST be good.
Thank you.

For me personally the best web host is IX webhosting. I am using them for a while now and there is nothing to complain about. The prices for the packages are reasonable and their customer support is very good. Once I had a problem and the customer support solved it within minutes. I definitely recommend this web hosting provider because some friends of mine are also using them and they are satisfied as well.

Hello,

I Have Found a Good Web Host That I Have been using for years. It Is very similar to host gator goal in my opinion is better. Theys Give You unlimited Basically everything and There Is Also a built in add on Where You Can install a php based forum Automatically Which Might help you out and a free domain name aussi When You register. Hope that helps.

Henry... You never mentioned the host's name. How is he supposed to look it up?

Nitpick: try only capitalizing proper nouns and words immediately after periods.

@OP: what I'm doing is actually just using a blog to showcase my projects (ok, I'm only just starting it). It's actually going to turn out better than I thought. Anyway, I know it won't meet your needs, but there might be someone reading this where it would be a better solution for them than setting up an entire site.

Heroku is an excellent Platform As A Service that sits on Amazon cloud. Their minimal package (suitable for dev) is free.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!