• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ldmn

low/mid-range laptop for game development?

This topic is 2783 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings,

What do you think, can one develop games (possibly in xna with visual studio c#) on a non-high-end laptop (dell vostro 1015) ? Its main drawback seems to be the integrated intel gfx card (4500 mhd). Can it be used for 2d and 3d game programming, too, and other engines (unity) can be run as well?

thanx for info.
bye.

Advertisement

Greetings,

What do you think, can one develop games (possibly in xna with visual studio c#) on a non-high-end laptop (dell vostro 1015) ? Its main drawback seems to be the integrated intel gfx card (4500 mhd). Can it be used for 2d and 3d game programming, too, and other engines (unity) can be run as well?

thanx for info.
bye.

Yes, developing games, especially when your starting out, doesn't require high-spec hardware. Especially if your learning programming principles and techniques and all that jazz.

But XNA does require a minimum Shader Model...2.0, right? Also, why not wait for the 4 core AMD APU powered laptop? Dont think they will be that expensive and you get DirectX11 support! Thats what ill be
doing myself.

The better machine you can get, the better for you, but dell vostro 1015 sounds ok. As far as google tells me, intel's integrated graphics chip *should* handle XNA requirements. If looking for anything else, consider laptops with dedicated graphics cards and newer CPUs. Also, in any case, make sure to take as much memory as you can - it's 4GB in the case of vostro.
But in general - does it need to be a laptop? You will get much more for less when buying a desktop PC. You get the extra cost of the monitor, but it is still likely to be cheaper and more capable than a laptop.

I dont know but my PC with i5-2500k HD graphic 3000 cant run XNA, so I need to get my old laptop with discrete vga to run it.

if you want to use XNA try to check if the vga support?

What do you think, can one develop games (possibly in xna with visual studio c#) on a non-high-end laptop (dell vostro 1015) ? Its main drawback seems to be the integrated intel gfx card (4500 mhd).
Agreed. Historically, Intel graphic adapters have always been troublesome. I've been told this is fixed now (as it has been for ages, at every driver release). When I had to get a laptop some months ago, I just wanted a non-intel adapter. Taking the risk is up to you - it might eventually be viable for some D3D version, command subset and content combo...

Can it be used for 2d and 3d game programming, too, and other engines (unity) can be run as well?
Engine themselves don't imply performance. As long as you don't stress with the assets they will run, IF they don't use anything "barely supported" feature. Products based on Unity might eventually run ok but you just have to search for it on the internet.

How much do you save by going Intel?

How much do you save by going Intel?

Thanx for your answers !

I found an other laptop, with non-intel gfx card. It is compaq presario cq56 with card Ati Radeon HD4250. It is hopefully a better choice, and also a bit cheaper than Dell. Although Dell gives 3 year warranty, compaq gives 2 years - it is enough I think. Yes, XNA needs shader model 2.0, this ATI has sm4.0. Hope there wont be any trouble with it.

(Yes, I know desktop is cheaper, but I would use a laptop almost all summer, that is why I should buy one.)

If you dont really need it now, I really think that you should wait for an AMD Llanos APU powered laptop. Even if the performance wont match a dedicated GPU(what laptop does? lol), yould be able to run everything for quite awhile. What amount of money are you working with for a laptop? I dont know about Compaq...havent seen or even heard much about them for years lol. Wasnt even aware they were still selling PC's.

If you dont really need it now, I really think that you should wait for an AMD Llanos APU powered laptop. Even if the performance wont match a dedicated GPU(what laptop does? lol), yould be able to run everything for quite awhile. What amount of money are you working with for a laptop? I dont know about Compaq...havent seen or even heard much about them for years lol. Wasnt even aware they were still selling PC's.

I plan to spend only about 400 euros, and time is money in my case - I wanna begin programming in a few weeks. Hope with Compaq will have no trouble.
Thanx for info.

Greetings,

thanx for info.
bye.

You can use it for anything you can use a high-end desktop for, but don't expect it to be as fast, as easy (using laptop mousepads or trackballs makes some things complicated), or anything like that.

I absolutely recommend developing on low-end hardware, or at least testing on it. Too often software engineers only test on their high-end skynet-level machines, and when they initially come out to us poor huddled masses, it doesn't run well at all. Vista and Crysis, anyone? Think about it -- if it runs at 50fps on your crappy little laptop, how good will it run on a brand new alienware?

EDIT:
That said, Intel GPUs are trouble for 3D games. 2D games are safe, though.
And for when you begin programming, I have some advice(click).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!