• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kunshou

BSP+portal+occlusion method still be using?

This topic is 2613 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

HI

I've been learning the BSP+portal+occlusion method to manage a huge 3d scene, and I wonder if this method still be using by modern game engines. Is there a level editor for potal engine since placing the portals could be a tiresome work?

thanks

Advertisement
Someone is still using them but many are moving away. BSP never truly scaled well.
A previous discussion.
An alternative.

BTW, the "portals" usually placed with the editors are usually "hint" portals (help in producing a better bsp), "area portals" (conditionally clip the BSP) or gameplay oriented (often going together a teleporter).
You don't place the BSP portals manually, that's the whole point.

I started a thread on this very topic a couple of weeks ago, it's pretty big but holds some good info I believe, check it out: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/598538-own-attempt-at-level-rendering-method-cell-based-spatial-partitioning/page__view__findpost__p__4790864

Thanks you for your replies!

Someone is still using them but many are moving away[/quote]
But moving to what?

I want to implement a simple but efficient render engine. Here's my idea:

1. Build a leaf BSP tree, with the cellsl connected with portals
2. At the runtime, find all the visiable cells( if a cell is connected to the camera cell and the portal of which is in the view frustum, this cell is visiable)
3. Do occlusion culling( skip this step if the scene is too simple)

what do you experts think? Are today's popular engines( like Unreal engine and Source engine) using similar methods?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!