• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RaniaKampouri

Game engine

This topic is 2613 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello there,

I am interesting to learn how to make a game engine (matches engine) for online basketball game (manager). However i am interested to know people that may know how to make one game engine (matches engine) and what will cost for me to buy it from you.

Thank you for your time.

I am looking forward to your replies!

Rania

Advertisement

Welp, im gonna save Splinter of Chaos the effort and paste some of his recent words,

" Write games, not engines. I don't know whether you have a good reason to make an engine or not, it's just that pulling this link up is a reflex because of how many people proclaim they want to make one. It's worth a good read if you haven't already. "

The match engine for manager style games is a significant portion of the game, and there really aren't any available that you can just download. (The match engine is the system that simulates the matches (The player normally don't have direct control)).

Anyway for the OP, it really depends on what you need.

Something basic that only compares the teams stats and generates a result it can be done in a few minutes, for something that considers custom tactics and simulates the full game it can get extremely time consuming and thus also expensive.

For an online game i'd expect you to want something that atleast does:

1) Reads both teams lineups and tactics from a DB,
2) simulates the match and stores the results in the DB (so that the client/web frontend/whatever can obtain and display it)

For something a bit more advanced you could store a list of player positions for each "play" (basically stopping whenever the ball is dead) and just have the engine read eventual tactics changes before simulating the next play, (This would allow the manager to change tactics mid game based on how things are going), It pretty much requires a full simulation (including things like player AI) to work though.

As far as prices go, anything from $1000 to $100.000 is reasonable depending on the complexity of the game.

I'm not familiar enough with basketball as a game to know exactly how complex the engine should be to provide a realistic experience.

My game is a basketball game which isnt hard to make. But the engine....??? Thats another story i am useless to do. I have no idea of matches engine at all. Can someone help? I want to launch the game within 2011 on the internet :) So i ncase someone can guide me to some extra info on "how to make one" or even better a person i can pay to make it for me then great! :)

[quote name='Xaer0' timestamp='1303920455' post='4803587']
Welp, im gonna save Splinter of Chaos the effort and paste some of his recent words,

" Write games, not engines. I don't know whether you have a good reason to make an engine or not, it's just that pulling this link up is a reflex because of how many people proclaim they want to make one. It's worth a good read if you haven't already. "

The match engine for manager style games is a significant portion of the game, and there really aren't any available that you can just download. (The match engine is the system that simulates the matches (The player normally don't have direct control)).

Something basic that only compares the teams stats and generates a result it can be done in a few minutes, for something that considers custom tactics and simulates the full game it can get extremely time consuming and thus also expensive.

2) simulates the match and stores the results in the DB (so that the client/web frontend/whatever can obtain and display it)

For something a bit more advanced you could store a list of player positions for each "play" (basically stopping whenever the ball is dead) and just have the engine read eventual tactics changes before simulating the next play, (This would allow the manager to change tactics mid game based on how things are going), It pretty much requires a full simulation (including things like player AI) to work though.

As far as prices go, anything from $1000 to $100.000 is reasonable depending on the complexity of the game.

I'm not familiar enough with basketball as a game to know exactly how complex the engine should be to provide a realistic experience.
[/quote]

You seem to know many things! Do you make match engines?

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1303921692' post='4803599']
[quote name='Xaer0' timestamp='1303920455' post='4803587']

[/quote]

You seem to know many things! Do you make match engines?
[/quote]

I've played around a bit with a prototype for a football/soccer match engine, nothing release worthy though. (Allthough its a project i might get back to in the future).
The part i struggled most with was getting players to actually act in a non retarded manner so that tactics and player stats actually mean something (It gets kinda silly when the best soccer tactic is to run with 10 forwards)

The main thing my prototype taught me is that its alot of work to get things working and even more work to get things to work well.

Oh thats nice. However can someone give me a pricelist? What i want exactly is the list below:

Match engine

1) Teams line up (up to 15 players per team)
2) Tactics (not very advanced tactics)

a) Position bonus: every player has 2 best positions for the gameplay. primary and secondary (PF or C for example), adding different scale of skill bonus.
b) Defensive focuson opposite players 10% to 100% lowering the defence on players of managers choice
c) Simple line ups by quarter: choose 5 players to play for each quarter without any subs. However you set bench players to sub a fouled out player by no. in bench and closest best position to next bench player available.
d) team chemistry of best 7 players ( incase you sell or buy a player from the best 7 players in week update chemistry will be affected depending on how good is this player) team chemistry level from 1 to 7)
e) players skills during match 1 vs 1 ( Here you know better how to make the player be better to another according his height, experience, primary skills, secondary skills, weight and form)

Training engine:

training max 2 different or 3 different skills per coach. max available 3 coaches per team.

Stadium attendace will be affected by:

1) fan club mood (wins/loses)
2) capacity of stadium ( division level and fan club size)
3) Rivalry ( each team chooses rival team with which a loss or win reflects loss or gain in fan club size and mood of fan club)

Thats it i think. cant think of something more :S

thanks in advance for any replies

Oh thats nice. However can someone give me a pricelist? What i want exactly is the list below:

Match engine

1) Teams line up (up to 15 players per team)
2) Tactics (not very advanced tactics)

a) Position bonus: every player has 2 best positions for the gameplay. primary and secondary (PF or C for example), adding different scale of skill bonus.
b) Defensive focuson opposite players 10% to 100% lowering the defence on players of managers choice
c) Simple line ups by quarter: choose 5 players to play for each quarter without any subs. However you set bench players to sub a fouled out player by no. in bench and closest best position to next bench player available.
d) team chemistry of best 7 players ( incase you sell or buy a player from the best 7 players in week update chemistry will be affected depending on how good is this player) team chemistry level from 1 to 7)
e) players skills during match 1 vs 1 ( Here you know better how to make the player be better to another according his height, experience, primary skills, secondary skills, weight and form)

Training engine:

training max 2 different or 3 different skills per coach. max available 3 coaches per team.

Stadium attendace will be affected by:

1) fan club mood (wins/loses)
2) capacity of stadium ( division level and fan club size)
3) Rivalry ( each team chooses rival team with which a loss or win reflects loss or gain in fan club size and mood of fan club)

Thats it i think. cant think of something more :S

thanks in advance for any replies

Things like training, setting up tactics , etc is all fairly easy to handle (its just a GUI and some stat changing, exactly how its done depends on the technology your game uses)

The big question is: do you want your players to be able to watch the matches live or watch replays of the matches after they've been played ?, does the replays require a full representation of the match or is text commentary enough ?
(If you only need text commentary of the match and not full replays or live views you don't actually have to simulate the matches properly and can just randomly select actions based on the tactics and stats and don't really need to bother with having everything exact, generating something simple such as:

Player X passes player Y
Player Y attempts to pass player Z but the pass is intercepted by player A
player A shoots and scores 3 points.

Can be done using a fairly simple match engine, tactics and stats would then affect how likely the actions are. (This greatly reduces the ability to support more complex tactics though and you're pretty much limited to making choices that increase or decrease the odds of a given action or target of the action).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!