• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
squizm

OpenGL SOIL causing access violation

This topic is 2788 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

HELP!

I'm attempting to use SOIL to load the JPGs for my openGL program. I'm compiled my own SOIL.lib and included it in the Visual Studio 2010 additional dependencies, and copy and included SOIL.h. However, at runtime I get an access violation from the following line:

tex_Dirt = SOIL_load_OGL_texture("dirt.jpg", SOIL_LOAD_AUTO, SOIL_CREATE_NEW_ID, SOIL_FLAG_MIPMAPS);

Anyone ever run into this before? What other information can I provide to help diagnose this?

EDIT:

I set a break point on that line and followed it through SOIL.c. Turns out it causes the access violation at the following line:

/* OK, make it a texture! */
tex_id = SOIL_internal_create_OGL_texture(
img, width, height, channels,
reuse_texture_ID, flags,
GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_2D,
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE );

Advertisement
Can you narrow it down further to the line of code that's actually causing the violation? Also, are you creating the textures after a valid OpenGL context has been created?

Can you narrow it down further to the line of code that's actually causing the violation? Also, are you creating the textures after a valid OpenGL context has been created?

the function I posted above (SOIL_internal_create_ogl_texture) appears to run just fine until the following line:

if( (query_NPOT_capability() == SOIL_CAPABILITY_NONE) &&
!(flags & SOIL_FLAG_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE) )
{
/* add in the POT flag */
flags |= SOIL_FLAG_POWER_OF_TWO;
}

Stepping into that function is opens 'strstr.asm' and gets the violation on the exact line:

mov al,[edi] ; al is next char from str1

As for the openGL context, I am pretty new to openGL and completely self taught. The loading of the textures is down in my custom initGL() function:

GLvoid initGL(GLsizei width, GLsizei height)
{
glViewport(0,0,width, height);
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();
gluPerspective(45.0f, (GLfloat)width / (GLfloat)height, 0.1f, 200.0f);
glShadeModel(GL_SMOOTH);
glClearColor(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f);
glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
glDepthFunc(GL_LEQUAL);
glHint(GL_PERSPECTIVE_CORRECTION_HINT, GL_NICEST);
glEnable(GL_PERSPECTIVE_CORRECTION_HINT);
glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glEnable(GL_LIGHTING);

//Create Screens
screens[MENU_SCREEN] = &menuScreen;
screens[GAME_SCREEN] = &playScreen;

//create Textures
GLuint tex_Dirt;
tex_Dirt = SOIL_load_OGL_texture("dirt.jpg", SOIL_LOAD_AUTO, SOIL_CREATE_NEW_ID, SOIL_FLAG_MIPMAPS);
}

and the main function looks like this:

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
// Init glut
glutInit(&argc, argv);

initGL(windowWidth, windowHeight);

glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_DOUBLE);
int windowID = glutCreateWindow("myGame");
glutReshapeWindow(windowWidth, windowHeight);
glutDisplayFunc(drawScene);
glutKeyboardFunc(keyboardCB);
glutKeyboardUpFunc(keyboardUpCB);
glutSpecialFunc(keyboardSpecialCB);
glutSpecialUpFunc(keyboardSpecialUpCB);
glutTimerFunc(1, timerLoop, 0);
glutMouseFunc(updateMouse);
glutMotionFunc(mouseMove);
glutPassiveMotionFunc(mouseMove);

glutMainLoop();
}

I'm not sure how GLUT works with respect to creating the OpenGL context - is the context created in glutInit(), or in (e.g.) glutInitDisplayMode()?

I'm sure someone else will know the answer to that question, but meanwhile you might check the docs and see if you can determine it yourself. (The OpenGL initialization code needs to be run *after* a valid context is created; otherwise, run-time errors can occur.)

I'm not sure how GLUT works with respect to creating the OpenGL context - is the context created in glutInit(), or in (e.g.) glutInitDisplayMode()?

I'm sure someone else will know the answer to that question, but meanwhile you might check the docs and see if you can determine it yourself. (The OpenGL initialization code needs to be run *after* a valid context is created; otherwise, run-time errors can occur.)

The rendering context is created in glutCreateWindow.

[quote name='jyk' timestamp='1303935063' post='4803706']

The rendering context is created in glutCreateWindow.
[/quote]

That was the issue. I created a function to load my textures after the glutCreateWindow call and it works like a champ. Thanks again for all your help.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!