• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
FordPrefectA

Problems with the MeshSmooth modifier and the FBX SDK

This topic is 2701 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to render an FBX in DirectX 10 using the FBX SDK just using vertices, indices, and normals so far. It worked fine with simple models but when I tried using an FBX exported with a model that had a MeshSmooth modifier applied (or a model directly exported from Mudbox to FBX) the model doesn't render properly, as seen in the first picture below.

The second picture below is the model rendered after I exported the mesh as an OBJ, reimported it to Max, and exported it as an FBX.

What is happening here and how do I properly deal with the imported FBX's that have an applied MeshSmooth modifier?

dino01.th.jpg
dino02.th.jpg

Advertisement
You can try collapsing the stack to an editable mesh/poly before you export. Not really a solution to meshes that have already been exported, but it could save the export to .OBJ and reimport it part.

In all my years working with 3D animation software, I have never seen an FBX file work as advertised. At best, you can some object placement information out of them, but the rest you should consider incomplete or otherwise suspect.

Anyway - it looks like what's happening is that the Meshsmooth modifier is converting the object from an old-fashioned triangle mesh to winged-edge 'poly' format, but the FBX exporter doesn't notice that the surface is no longer a triangle mesh.

You have a couple of easy options:

1: Apply a 'Turn to Mesh' modifier above any Meshsmooth modifier before exporting. This will (non-destructively) convert the surface back into old-fashioned triangles.

2: Replace all Meshsmooth modifiers with Turbosmooth modifiers. Meshsmooth has more features, but it's more or less deprecated. Turbosmooth is far more efficient, and it outputs a triangle mesh.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!