• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
raven10011

DirextX 7 using VB - Help!

This topic is 2607 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello All!

I have recently started to learn how to use directx 7 using vb. The only reason for VB is because I use this a lot at work and does not require me to install additional software, and yes I know just how inefficient it is - I used to program in Delphi and C++. I am no professional game developer merely someone who would like to learn something new and interesting.

I managed to get as far as learning how to call the surface, optimise and draw several the vertices and rotate and move the camera so that I can "walk" around. As a next step I would like to be able to set a bitmap as the surface of some rectangles (like setting a surface for the floor rectangle). I have been looking around on different search engines and forums but can not seem to find how it is done.

I keep getting the feeling that is is something very straight forward but I can not find it.

Many thanks for any help with this matter.

Advertisement
You're going to have a hard time finding or getting help for DirectX 7 these days - any particular reason why you chose that version? Jumping to at least 9 is highly recommended (and has many more resources available for it).

This is an admirable task. It's simply not easy to write a graphical game in Visual Basic as say, C++ because of the fact that absolutely no one supports it anymore.
I wish you the best of luck in your tasks! May the force be with you.

Can't help you with DX7, sorry. But if you want to stick with something VB-like, why not give VB.NET and SlimDX a shot ? The Visual Studio Express Editions are free and SlimDX gives you access to DX 9 to 11 from any managed language.

With VB.NET you have access to the very useful .NET library (parts of which will remind you of Delphi) and someone already did a small framework/engine this way: http://sdxbaseengine.wordpress.com/. And here I also found the SlimDX samples translated to VB.NET. Be aware, I did not look too closely, so that framework and the samples might not work with the newest SlimDX release, but I think this should give you a start.

Edit: If you still want to stick with your current setup, show your (relevant) drawing code, maybe someone spots the problem.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!