• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ragnos

Blank.cpp

This topic is 2781 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alright gentlemen... start up those engines!

First of all, i'd like to say -- this is a great place. I've definitely been reading around and about and I like the community... a definitely excellent and neat area, but i'll dispense with the pleasantries and jump right into my questions. (Before you ask; i've searched dozens of times and I wasn't able to find anything relevant or useful, but if you can find it and link me that'd be great!)

Question number 1:

I've downloaded source code from a few different websites, all of them generally share the same basic structures.

main.cpp
blank.cpp
blank2.cpp

Now i've understood, at least I hope i've understood the concept properly. These things are separated to keep the programing clean and clear for the programmer and others; it's also a way to process much easier and faster then if everything was placed under main.cpp, so it's linked by separate files. (Correct me if i'm wrong.)

Though the issue comes down to this; how do I even compile all of this? WHERE do I go to compile all of it? Well before you ask: "What compiler are you using, if any at all?" i'll go ahead and shoot you the answer. Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express.

I've picked up a few books on c++ programming along with direct x. Now, as a hopeful and future game developer i'd like to know that I am on the right track. So i'll go ahead and share with you guys some of the things I know so far.

With C++ programming, i'm able to call upon functions to display on an executable. For example, calling sound files, graphics and even user interfaces.

UI(User Interface) = The buttons you click at the beginning of a startup

E.G - START
OPTIONS
LICENSE
QUIT

Graphics = Models and textures being displayed on the monitor at a particular time when called upon. Displayed when the program tells it to be.

Sound = The music and atmosphere as well as the the crickets. This too is also called upon at a certain time when the program tells it to be played, how loud and for how long.

Now, I understand some of these concepts... but when i'm staring at a blank.cpp in the compiler, it's very intimidating. I have no clue on where to start anything on where to place it or even what to type and how to program it. I've read a few books going over what classes and functions are, but it's still not getting through to me. So this is my other question for you guys. Now, I don't expect anything to be done for me as i'd like to figure it out myself, but... I do require a little assistance.

Say I have three models:

-Square
-Triangle
-Circle

How would I even begin to see it as a game? Where would I even begin to do ALL of these things. Creating a GUI and even just a UI? (I think) To placing the sound in the game, when it's going to be played. How to setup controls, how to call on the graphics and controls. I know this may seem like a crazy question, but i'm interested in wanting to figure this out. I've read somewhere that I shouldn't re-create the wheel, you'd be absolutely correct. I want to figure out how the wheel works and how to create something better.

Also; before you mention anything about game engines. I've explored a few; but alot of them just seem to be... well foreign to me or they're just drag and drop (Which I really dislike, I want to know how to do it myself, not have to rely on something to drag and drop for me.) I wish to take pride in doing this; but I need some help on getting my feet planted.

Last but not least; I apologize for the question if it is a little to vague or difficult to answer. I'm just somewhat stuck on these things. But I am willing to learn. :D, thanks in advance.

Advertisement
It sounds to me that your trying to do WAYYY too much, far beyond what your currently capable of. It sounds like you want to make a full on game but can't write any code (nor compile it for that matter?). So first things first you need to learn the basics, which means fairly boring things such printing "hello world" to a console window, taking input from a console window etc. You could work on text based games (simple things like guess the number). Theres some tutorials here:
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html#c++tutorial
No idea if they're any good but they seem suitably basic. What book did you get?

Whatever you do, its great to think big but even better to think small. Learn the basics first - strong foundations and all that.

It sounds to me that your trying to do WAYYY too much, far beyond what your currently capable of. It sounds like you want to make a full on game but can't write any code (nor compile it for that matter?). So first things first you need to learn the basics, which means fairly boring things such printing "hello world" to a console window, taking input from a console window etc. You could work on text based games (simple things like guess the number). Theres some tutorials here:
http://www.cprogramm...tml#c++tutorial
No idea if they're any good but they seem suitably basic. What book did you get?

Whatever you do, its great to think big but even better to think small. Learn the basics first - strong foundations and all that.

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I've made a few Hello World's to make me a millionaire if I could sell them. Unfortunately, none of it makes any sense anyways. The tutorial on this website is fantastic; but I think what I am in need of is an actual mentor.

As for the books:

Code Complete: 2nd Edition - Steve McConnel
C++ Primer: Fourth Edition - Lippman
C++: How to Program -Deitel
Programming Role Playing Games with DIRECT X - Jim Adams

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I've made a few Hello World's to make me a millionaire if I could sell them. Unfortunately, none of it makes any sense anyways.

If you can't understand a simple program, why do you think you can successfully create such a large project?

The tutorial on this website is fantastic; but I think what I am in need of is an actual mentor. As for the books:
[/quote]

You've got a mix of extremely beginner books and advanced books, completely skipping the steps in between. It's like jumping from books like "See Spot" straight to collegiate level books.

Read Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo. Read it. Love it. Embrace it. It is one of the best books at that level. That should help you make the leap in understanding.

[quote name='Ragnos' timestamp='1303992435' post='4803932']
Hey! Thanks for the reply. I've made a few Hello World's to make me a millionaire if I could sell them. Unfortunately, none of it makes any sense anyways.

If you can't understand a simple program, why do you think you can successfully create such a large project?

The tutorial on this website is fantastic; but I think what I am in need of is an actual mentor. As for the books:
[/quote]

You've got a mix of extremely beginner books and advanced books, completely skipping the steps in between. It's like jumping from books like "See Spot" straight to collegiate level books.

Read Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo. Read it. Love it. Embrace it. It is one of the best books at that level. That should help you make the leap in understanding.
[/quote]

To answer your first question. Determination. As for the book of choice? Thanks, i'll pick it up.

[quote name='frob' timestamp='1304002850' post='4803987']
[quote name='Ragnos' timestamp='1303992435' post='4803932']

[/quote]

[/quote]

To answer your first question. Determination. As for the book of choice? Thanks, i'll pick it up.
[/quote]

Determination is a two sided coin mate. Trying to climb Everest on pure determination, would be a bad life choice. However, if that determination is used to train for the trek, plan everything out in obsessive detail and learn the route and to have you fighting on when it gets nasty. In the latter case, determination is your friend, however, in the former case its would be what got you killed.

Your starting from square, and want to learn everything at once. Sound, Graphics (and obviously the maths needed for this), programming, algorithms, data-structures... Everything all at once.. This following statement might come off as a bit blunt, but this is only meant as a friendly piece of advice.

Its simply not going to happen, not within a foreseeable future. The path to what you want to accomplish is very long.

If you don't realize that, and comes to term with it, the determination will most likely turn into frustration.

What you need to find your peace with, is that's it going to take a fair amount time until you will be able to produce a whole, simple 2d game by your self. If you find your peace with that, you'll be a lot less frustrated along the road.

Having a first project be something complex, is setting your self up for failure. And you are likely not really learn the important things you need to pick up along the way.

You found out what you want to do with your professional life, that's great. Keep the goal in mind and work from there. I'm guessing your quite young, so remember, maths, physics or computer science is good majors. And start by creating simple projects.

Learn C++, and do lots of stuff with it to really understand it. Not using all sorts of libraries, until you have a solid understanding of the language it self. Make little programs, maybe a text only adventure game, in pure C++ no additional libs.

Then when that's checked of the list, move on. And remember, if your serious about becoming a game developer, get a degree. And study lots and lots of linear algebra.

Hope that makes sense, and best of luck with everything :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!