• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MattMcFarland_91099

New FLASH GAME: Starcede

This topic is 2700 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Hi guys, I just wanted to announce Starcede has been finished and we're looking for an [url="http://www.flashgamelicense.com/view_game.php?from=dev&game_id=16382"]exclusive or primary sponsorship. [/url]

[url="http://www.flashgamelicense.com/view_game.php?from=dev&game_id=16382"]Click Here To Play[/url]

You'll find that Starcede is different from other flash shooters because it features beautiful graphics, a Star Map with non-linear level progression, secret levels, online high scores, a dynamic tech tree with resettable upgrades, and unique gameplay mechanics that offer a wide variety of gameplay styles. The game combines a great multiplier mechanic that rewards skill with using the points awarded to upgrade your ship, and rewards players for achieving high scores by unlocking additional levels. You'll also see weapon types unseen before like chain lightning (in a shooter!) and more complex game mechanics that skilled players can use but causal players can neglect without punishment.

[url="http://www.flashgamelicense.com/view_game.php?from=dev&game_id=16382"]fgl_s_eizuc6ip16382.jpg[/url]

Also, if you guys know of any other way to reach out to sponsors please let me know. I've e-mailed sites and posted on FGL, and I'm thinking about doing a press release to further get the word out. It's really tough for me because I don't know anyone in the industry, so any help you can bring would be awesome.[/font]

Advertisement
A few obvious questions:
  • What's the player hitbox? The whole yellow hull is too large.
  • Does it have keyboard input?
  • How are you supposed to dodge or shoot the extremely thick and close asteroid debris in the screenshot?
  • Apart from the special case of the asteroid field in the screenshot, what is the typical density, durability and threat level of enemies and enemy bullets?
  • How powerful are the player's weapons relative to the amount of stuff to shoot?
  • What's the "10" in the top left? If it is 10 bombs your game is far too easy.
  • What's the green bar in the bottom left? If it's health, keep in mind that typical players would rather prefer dodging everything and never getting hit; if your attacks need a health bar to be survivable, they are sloppily designed, not intense.
  • Why does the chain lightning escape to the top instead of folding back on nearby asteroids? I hope it isn't random.
  • How does the player switch weapons? How many weapons and weapon powerups are there?
  • What are the "complex game mechanics"? How can they be neglected?

Thanks Lorenzo, I've always appreciated your feedback in the past so I'll try to answer the questions you have as best as possible. However, you should play the game.

A few obvious questions:
  • What's the player hitbox? The whole yellow hull is too large.

The player hitbox doesn't cover the entire player ship, I forget the exact details off hand, but it is smaller than the player's sprite image. I also think more people would say the ship is too small, as that is what I've received from the flash market tests.
  • Does it have keyboard input?

Originally it did have keyboard input, however that was later scrapped as the mouse control was more popular. I wanted both from the get-go, but creating an ingame tutorial for both mouse and keyboard proved to make the game too complicated for the flash market. Flash gamers have th shortest attention span, and if they cannot learn the mechanics of a game within 10 seconds they'll close it and find another.
  • How are you supposed to dodge or shoot the extremely thick and close asteroid debris in the screenshot?

You're seeing one of the later levels, there are 45 in all. The asteroid debris is just special effects and fades out quickly, and the animation looks amazing. I'll show a video soon or play it yourself.
  • Apart from the special case of the asteroid field in the screenshot, what is the typical density, durability and threat level of enemies and enemy bullets?

There are a dozen different enemy types and each shoot differently and have strengths and weaknesses vs different weapons. Some burst a deadly ring of bullets when destroyed, or when their shields are up. Some shoot when they are being hit by different weapons. The asteroid fields are different depending on which level you're on, and some have more hp than others. Each thing drops off resources that you grab for extra points, and some levels are resource collection levels.

• How powerful are the player's weapons relative to the amount of stuff to shoot?

Oh man, this is hard to answer. Some people say the weapons are OP, some say they're UP. All I can say is, the player's weapons fully maxxed out are DANGEROUS..
  • What's the "10" in the top left? If it is 10 bombs your game is far too easy.

Yeah 10 bombs, but that's after upgrading the nuke utility to the max, you're not going to see that in the beginning of the game. Everytime you beat a level your score is translated into XP. When you earn XP you can spend it on upgrading your your magnet radius, magnet strength, shield absorption, shield capacity, nuke cooldown, nuke ammo, weapon special, weapon multi, and weapon damage. You have to get to level 81 to max everything out, and to do that requires hours of gameplay.
  • What's the green bar in the bottom left? If it's health, keep in mind that typical players would rather prefer dodging everything and never getting hit; if your attacks need a health bar to be survivable, they are sloppily designed, not intense.

Typical players don't like being punished for dying right away. Maybe hardcore gamers or big time shmup fans, but those are not typical flash game players. More players prefer to have a more relaxed experience then something crazy intense. Maybe if this were 1995, but its 2011 and shooters aren't near as hard as they used to be across the board. This game is not for die-hard danmaku fans.
  • Why does the chain lightning escape to the top instead of folding back on nearby asteroids? I hope it isn't random.

The chain lightning didn't escape it just destroyed that roid and couldn't chain to the top one because it is out of range. The chain lightning range is actually a special rectangle with a 100 pixel width (not bad) To see it in effect, which has received a ton of praise, you have to play the game. I'll upload a video if you cant use FGL. But srlsy, you makes games, get on FGL.
  • How does the player switch weapons? How many weapons and weapon powerups are there?

There are 6 different powerups, 3 different weapons, and 3 different ways to upgrade the weapons.
  • What are the "complex game mechanics"? How can they be neglected?

Well, for one you can use a barrier shield by pressing shift which renders your ship invulnerable for a short time if you're not shooting or not moving, you can select not shoot mode or not move mode in the upgrade menu. This allows clutch gameplay and is really cool to pull off if you're trying to get big big points. Later levels are loaded with enemy bullets and it gets insane. Also, you can use a enemy bullet repeller or resource attractor. The bullet repeller looks awesome when tons of bullets fly at you then catch into it as you move around. The nuke allows for destroying all enemy bullets or enemies themselves. However, shielded enemies are not effected by the nuke. You'll also find that the game doesn't require much skill to beat levels, but if you want to hit PAR and get an amazingly high score, you have to do near perfect on each level and destroy all enemies. When doing so, your multiplier goes through the roof allowing a crazy high score, and also you can play the highscore challenge which is all the levels one after another and you can submit it online. Another great thing is that if you hit par on levels it unlocks secret levels which are extremely hard. The game I think has so much potential for those who just like blowing shit up wllly nilly or those who want to be badass and not get hit by anything. There is great reward for skill players so I think this game caters to both casual and hardcore.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!