• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
schupf

OpenGL VBOs in OGL2?

This topic is 2705 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hallo!

I want to write a Wrapper for both DirectX9 and OpenGL2 (OGL2 and DX9 are roughly the same feature wise, arent they?). The wrapper will also be used for a little console game. I know DX9 pretty well but I am very new to OGL2. Hence I have some questions:

1) Newer OGL version have VBOs. Can I use VBOs with OGL2.x? If yes, do I need a specific OpenGL version like 2.1 or 2.2?

2) I am kinda confused by all this extensions/GLUT/GLEE/GLEW stuff and that there is no real SDK with .libs and stuff. If I want to use OpenGL2.x on Windows and later on a console: what exactly do I need? I don't need new .libs or .dll since all the functionality is in the graphics driver, isn't it? So on windows I just need the very, very old headers delivered by MS and one of the "extension managers" like freeglut? Will such a manager also work on a console? If I wanted to use OGL2 without such an extension manager, how could I do that?

Thanks!

Advertisement
1) VBOs are supported since OpenGL 1.5. There is no OpenGL 2.2. After 2.1 comes 3.0. The current version is 4.1. ;)

2) Yes, the functionality is implemented in drivers, but with that "very, very old headers delivered by MS " you can get only OpenGL 1.1 support. You'll probably need new headers from OpenGL Extension Registry and do extension handling on your own, or use GLEW or similar extension handling library. I didn't know that FreeGLUT is an "extension managers". :) It allows the user to create and manage windows containing OpenGL contexts on a wide range of platforms and also read the mouse, keyboard and joystick functions. I have no idea if it can be used on console. For each extension handling library check its official site for the platforms it supports.

For manually handling, check Beyond OpenGL 1.1 or link.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!