• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
akhin

Unity iphone commercial dev options for starters

This topic is 2766 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi all,

as I quickly searched , to be able so start writing commercial games for Appstore , the options seem

1. buying a MAC and developing with Xcode and native IOS SDK with Objective C on that
2. using an IOS supporting engine/sdk on Windows such as Unity, UDK etc...

I dont have prior MAC/XCode/Objective C experience + I know C++/C#(mentining c# for unity)
Also Unity seems a mature engine for mobile/ios games.

Generally , if you compared two , what would you say , what would you suggest for me ?

Besides what other engines or options are available for Iphone development ?

thanks in advance

Advertisement
Your expenses will be the following:

1. Buying a Mac (even with Unity/UDK, you NEED a Mac to push the game onto the App store.
2. iOS dev membership. This is $99
3. Any Engine Licenses ($400 for Unity iOS, $3000 UnityPro + iOS Pro, $99 iTorque 2D, $99 + Royalties for UDK)

If you have a good friend with a Mac, you could probably ask to use his/her Mac to upload the App to the store. That will leave you more money for other expenses and you can develop on a Windows machine.

As for learning Objective C, it's pretty easy. The documentation is fine and it's very similar to C++. Once you know one language, you know them all. It's just a matter of practice.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions just ask.

EDIT: What I would do is use the Unity/UDK testing tools to emulate the device on your PC and create your app. This will save you having to buy a Mac until you finish the bulk of your project. You can use the "demo" to attract additional developers, investors, crowdfunding, etc.

Thanks a lot for the reply ,

Regarding engines/sdks , as I generally looked , (except UDK ) 3 of them catch the eye : unity torque & shiva

I havent yet downloaded and tried them but for the time being :

- for itorque2d , you can also have source code , 100 usd with many features a good editor and plugins/addons ( dev with torquescript )
- for unity , 400 usd with many features ( dev with c# )
- for shiva , 169 euros , for iphone/android/Windows/MAC/PC/Web , many features a good editor and plugins/addons ( dev with c++ or lua )

Currently Shiva and Itorque2d seemes the best options to me as I am targeting a 2D game

but also I am considering the option of producing a 2d shooter game with 3d assets/rendering , for this one itorque2d fails)

What would you suggest regarding engine selection ?

I've never really heard of Shiva or even used it, so I can't give you an honest recommendation between iTorque and Shiva; however, from experience, I've always enjoyed Torque's support over the years.

By the way, Unity is great for a 2D game with 3D assets as there is a tutorial/documentation on such.

Thanks a lot for your comments

For me a world editor and emulating on Windows are important , which one would you suggest iTorque or Unity ?

I'll back the Airplay suggestion up :) It's free and easy to use, although I never really continued work on it I heard someone created a fully fledged snooker game on it ;) and it worked fine on the: iPod, iPhone and the iPad. Airplay Website

Mosync is another option if you want cross platform support. Also it enables you to develop using your current c\c++ skills.

Mosync.com

i am a noob in both programming and iphone dev. but had a look at airplay SDK.......it looked cool......now downloading the airplay sdk :D

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!