• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Quittouff

Task: Reduce memory allocations for value types

This topic is 2789 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Have you any idea when you'll be able to spend some time on this big task?
I'm asking because I did a couple of stress tests on some scripts (on PC platform), and profile results showed that a lot of the time spent in AngleScript (between 40 et 60% depending on the tests) is actually spent in memory alloc and dealloc due to returns and params handling.
So I don't know what your priorities are on your task list, if optimization/perf is high priority or not, but I think this one could make huge improvements.
Performances is a serious concern for me on AngelScript (as it may already showed in previous posts), but I really like the way AS is done and I'd rather spend some time to improve it than to switch script language. I'm aware it's a big task and that it might impact all platforms, and even if I'm not familiar with AS code for now, I would be glad to give you a hand on this matter if you need it. Don't hesitate to point me where to look first or maybe detail a bit more this task, I'll be glad to help.

Advertisement
I did some work towards this already, but there is still a lot of work. Unfortunately it is a very big task, and it is difficult to break down in incremental steps so I can make the changes along with other improvements that are needed. I can't say when I will be able to complete these changes, but they are pretty high on my priority.

Until I have finished all the memory management improvements, you would definitely benefit from a custom memory manager, probably with memory pooling so it will be faster than the ordinary C++ built-in memory manager. The custom memory manager functions are set with a call to asSetGlobalMemoryFunctions, which should be called before asCreateScriptEngine.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!