• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vecchia

How to manage a game UI

This topic is 2779 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all,
I searched over the net but I didn't find anything really useful: how can I make the UI for my game? Should I make my own library that supports widgets?

Advertisement

I searched over the net but I didn't find anything really useful: how can I make the UI for my game? Should I make my own library that supports widgets?

What language(s) and API(s) are you using? And what are the requirements for the UI?

Meanwhile, the short answer is, you can make your own, or use an existing library (e.g. CEGUI).

I'm using C++ with DirectX, my UI should be really simple: a main menu where the user can connect to a server typing the ip, a button to disconnectfrom the server and a really simple hud that shows some basic info like who win, lost, etc

I'm using C++ with DirectX, my UI should be really simple: a main menu where the user can connect to a server typing the ip, a button to disconnectfrom the server and a really simple hud that shows some basic info like who win, lost, etc

Well if you view it as simple(which IMO it is, just tedious) then why not make your own, if you want. There is a fairly good tutorial here on gamedev which explains the methodology the author used to create his UI. There is also a book on creating UI's in direct X which I based my own UI off of.

That being said, why reinvent the wheel? CEGUI gets good reviews, I haven't used it( tried, but it was really above me at that point in time, which is why I got the aforementioned book) but see it recommended often.

I'm integrating CEGUI into my project right now, and it's pretty good; it's very easy to draw the GUI on top of an existing OpenGL scene with minimal effort, and connecting GUI events to arbitrary functors is straightforward.

Setting up the environment wasn't super easy, though -- seems a common rite of passage involves figuring out the dependencies by yourself using compiler and linker errors as a guide; a minor documentation gap.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!