Colorblind in Game Development?

Started by
4 comments, last by Aardvajk 12 years, 11 months ago
I'm about get started in directx programming, but I'm colorblind. I can't tell the difference between colors that are very close(light green and yellow, etc) Will I be able to do any graphics programming?
Advertisement
Certainly!

The appearance of graphics is highly reliant on the artist who made them. The graphics programmer is only responsible for putting them on the screen

Many programming tutorials introduce the basics to you by having you draw a multi-colored polygon. Generally the colors are far enough apart that you should be able to tell the difference.
Hey. I'm colorblind, too! :)

If you're going the programing route I don't see any problem. You could even help your gfx artists pick color sets better suited to color blind people.
Jake asked a similar question recently here

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Yes you can.

Colors in computers are expressed by float/integer values so you should be able to know what is the color on your screen without actually "see" it.

But still I think you can try developing some games designed for colorblind people.

I don't know what feels like to be colorblind so forgive me if I said anything offensive.
I'm not colour blind, but I did once get stuck working for a couple of months with a CRT monitor where one of the colour guns had blown (the blue one IIRC) and I was creating a lot of sprite stuff at the time. I had to draw a copy of Paint Shop's colour wheel on a bit of paper and label where all the colours where, copying from a friend's PC. :)

As has been said, graphics programming is quite different from actually creating artwork so if it is the former you are interested in, there shouldn't be any problems.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement