Osama Bin Laden is Dead.

Started by
147 comments, last by dpandza 12 years, 11 months ago

[quote name='trzy' timestamp='1304362525' post='4805597']
We have every right to wipe out existential threats.

So when are Wall Street bankers being put up against the wall?
[/quote]

When the people decide to stand up for themselves. As I recall, people on this very forum were tripping over themselves to justify the bailouts of big banks and automotive companies as soon as their favorite politician got behind them.

we have every right not to accept the spread of ideologies antithetical to our values.[/quote]

Why are you quoting Bin Laden?
[/quote]

Why are you presuming moral equivalency between Bin Laden and ourselves? Do you believe Western values are no better than those of Islamic extremists?
----Bart
Advertisement
The point is that "moral equivalency" is subjective. Anyone can justify that they are on the moral high right and the other is wrong.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

The point is the death of CIVILIANS. I can't see any ways to justify that and yet, for some interesting reason the thread forgets about them and starts to talk about some Islam vs Whatever and some moral bullshit we had many times before. I'm not a pacifist, go ahead, make wars and make some more, kill people, kill some more, but not CIVILIANS!

When the people decide to stand up for themselves. As I recall, people on this very forum were tripping over themselves to justify the bailouts of big banks and automotive companies as soon as their favorite politician got behind them.
If people stand up, they'll go to jail.

Why are you presuming moral equivalency between Bin Laden and ourselves? Do you believe Western values are no better than those of Islamic extremists?
[/quote]

Values have never been better or worse. Values are determined by force and ability to apply it.

People cheering the death of an individual are not highly moral and definitely not Western. They aren't celebrating end of terror, end of war on terror, end of decaying freedoms, end of corruption, end of greed. They are celebrating a "boom headshot". Do people also cheer when criminals get executed and throw parties late in the night? I'd hope not. If they do, then it really is time to rethink "Western" morals.

There is no ideology, morality or anything higher. it's just the same images as those seen every day in other countries, except that instead of burning flags, they burn pictures of Bin Laden. There is no superiority, no moral victory. None of the things he stood up for changed, if anything they were reinforced. None of the ideologies fought against have been defeated.

Bin Laden was a dead man on 9/11. Death certificate just took a while to show up. He was a madman with an impossible plan that somehow lucked out against impossible odds. But for every one of his victims, 300 people died. That is not due process, that is a relentless vendetta at any cost. Then again, this is what was said from the beginning.

And every time you use a phone, every time approach an airport, every time you show an id, every time you use a credit card, his legacy is there. Until this changes, his death is irrelevant.

The point is that "moral equivalency" is subjective. Anyone can justify that they are on the moral high right and the other is wrong.

Of course. But everyone knows that. At some point, you have to apply some standard. Generally, the West has subscribed to a concept of "natural law", which apart from having enough universal commonality (as well as ambiguity) as to be acceptable to most cultures, has served as a good foundation on which to build prosperous, peaceful, and advanced societies. Proceeding from the direction of Enlightenment values, rather than regressing to barbaric pre-medieval tribalism, is worth making the "subjective" call that our Western value system trumps others when we find ourselves the targets of violence by opposing ideologues.
----Bart

[quote name='trzy' timestamp='1304363521' post='4805605']
If people stand up, they'll go to jail.[/quote]

Voting, petitioning leaders, disseminating information, and creating public advocacy groups will land you in jail?

Get real. I don't know what your personal position on the bailouts was, but your arguments are eerily in tune with the same kind of folks who supported them when it was politically expedient to do so (wouldn't want to be labeled a "tea bagger" after all) and, now that it is too late, complain about the evil banksters who took advantage of their brilliant "progressive" idea to meld state and private enterprise.

Values have never been better or worse. Values are determined by force and ability to apply it.
[/quote]

You believe what you believe because someone held a gun to your head?

People cheering the death of an individual are not highly moral and definitely not Western.[/quote]

Really? Says who?

They aren't celebrating end of terror, end of war on terror, end of decaying freedoms, end of corruption, end of greed.[/quote]

As far as I can tell, the celebration is largely about achieving a major milestone in the so-called War on Terror: the elimination of a leading figurehead and symbol of the enemy. People are happy Bin Laden has been brought to justice but I don't think the crowds were out to fantasize about the "headshot" moment. In fact, the cheering crowds materialized before the gory details of the operation emerged.

Do people also cheer when criminals get executed and throw parties late in the night?
[/quote]

No, they don't. So maybe this should clue you in on the fact that this is about more than just the assassination of some criminal. Maybe, just maybe, this was a slightly more complicated moment.

There is no ideology, morality or anything higher. it's just the same images as those seen every day in other countries, except that instead of burning flags, they burn pictures of Bin Laden. There is no superiority, no moral victory. None of the things he stood up for changed, if anything they were reinforced. None of the ideologies fought against have been defeated.
[/quote]

The ideologies are slowly but surely being discredited. People aren't exactly keen on living under an Al Qaeda-styled caliphate anymore.

Bin Laden was a dead man on 9/11. Death certificate just took a while to show up. He was a madman with an impossible plan that somehow lucked out against impossible odds. But for every one of his victims, 300 people died.[/quote]

The vast majority at the hands of other Muslim terrorists and insurgents, by the way. So much for moral equivalence.

And every time you use a phone, every time approach an airport, every time you show an id, every time you use a credit card, his legacy is there. Until this changes, his death is irrelevant.
[/quote]

Now you've taken us way off topic. This is another issue altogether. You lost the argument that celebrating Bin Laden's downfall made us no better than fanatical, flag-burning throngs in the middle east, so you're shifting to our own internal problems, which are up to us to resolve.

Clever. But not clever enough.
----Bart

The point is the death of CIVILIANS. I can't see any ways to justify that and yet, for some interesting reason the thread forgets about them and starts to talk about some Islam vs Whatever and some moral bullshit we had many times before. I'm not a pacifist, go ahead, make wars and make some more, kill people, kill some more, but not CIVILIANS!

That's kind of a separate issue. I hope you're not saying Bin Laden was a civilian.
----Bart
Bin Laden is dead. Great. Now, can we get all of our freedoms back and get the hell out of the middle east? If we can't then we're left with fighting his ghost which is even worse. Ghosts don't have expiration dates. Especially when you have constant reminders everywhere you're hated (ex: US bases).

trzy. We are directly responsible for the theocracy in Iran. When those people burn our flags and celebrate when something horrible happens to the US, they have damn good reason to.

Let me be clear. I'm not saying that American citizens deserve to die. Or should die. Because they don't. But given the reason that you gave for us being morally in the clear for celebrating Bin Laden's death, Iranians can properly apply that reason when they do it. Also remember the Iran Contra fiasco.

I believe that it's bad karma to celebrate a person's death, regardless of what they've done.

I do however find it ironic that while America was shocked to discover that middle-eastern civillians were celebrating the destruction of the twin towers, here America is now celebrating the death of the mastermind behind the attack.

I find it rather sad. I would have much rather that the man surrendered after being caught, rather than continuing guns blazing until he died in a firefight.

I have no love for what the guy has done, but I don't think celebration is the right action by anybody. I can understand why so many are celebrating, but I can also understand why dogs eat their own vomit. I think it is an unfortunate fact that so many people are celebrating, just like it was an unfortunate fact when so many celebrated after 9/11 attacks.

Both are times that the populations should have chosen to mourn.

Perhaps the government will use this as an excuse to leave the middle-east? Maybe change the reason for war one last time? (9/11 -> Weapons of mass destruction -> Bringing down a tyrant -> Peacekeeping -> "Oh hey, our original reason for war was to take down Bin Laden, and now he's dead. Now we can leave.")
[/quote]

That depends on who you ask, and about which war you are discussing. If you are asking random Joe American you are quite certain to get a new response.

Please don't confuse the situation in Iraq with the situation in Afghanistan. Although they happened near the same time and many people confuse them, they are quite different. Both had very different causes.

Iraq = Started in 1990 with Iraq's Kuwait invasion, repulsion and ceasefire, decade of no-fly with a record of infractions. Followed up by UN inspection mandates requiring immediate and unconditional access to particular sites. UN expanded the program based on testimony from Iraqi expatriots, which was later shown to be false; The expanded program was followed by UN inspection teams getting locked out of locations, or in some cases locked into a room while crates of documents were removed off-site by the Iraqi government. At the same time there was an increase in surface-to-air attacks in the UN-ordered no-fly zone, discovery of UAVs that were in direct violation of the UN mandate, violations of UN sanctions, and violations of the terms of earlier cease fire. It was not so much the presence or absence of weapons, but the defiance to the weapons inspection orders and other mandates. Then there was the second invasion that resulted in the capture of Hussian and the trial by his own people.

Some officials and countless news outlets made statements about terrorists and 9/11, or trying tor take democracy to the country, but those claims were not stated by those in authority of making the military decisions behind the action in Iraq.

Afghanistan = Direct response to 9/11 with the stated goal of "dismantling Al-Quaeda and ending its use of Afghanistan as a base for terrorist operations". I don't believe this mission statement has significantly changed.

While Usama's choice to die rather than face capture does continue part of the goal, it does not complete either half of those objectives.

Iraq = Started in 1990 with Iraq's Kuwait invasion, repulsion and ceasefire, decade of no-fly with a record of infractions. Followed up by UN inspection mandates requiring immediate and unconditional access to particular sites.

Iraq invaded Kuwait because Kuwait was slant drilling in Iraq territory and wouldn't stop after Iraq repeated demands for Kuwait to stop.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement