Game dev vs business IT

Started by
5 comments, last by george_azure 12 years, 11 months ago
Hello everybody,

There are a couple of choices in what field you can get hired after graduating an IT based college.You can work in game development, communication or business IT. Is the field really matters when it comes to salary?A person with the same programing skills(in c++, java etc.) can be paid better if it's working at a bank's software than one who is working at a game for a large company?
From what I see in jobs offers, an sql programmer can be paid more than a render programmer(same level of experience). Working with databases requires a lot more learning than working with graphics API-s and math algorithms?

Please give me a negative answer *cross fingers*.
Why should we play games with poor gameplay, weak AI but good graphics when we have REALITY?
Advertisement

From what I see in jobs offers, an sql programmer can be paid more than a render programmer(same level of experience). Working with databases requires a lot more learning than working with graphics API-s and math algorithms?

Please give me a negative answer *cross fingers*.
Working as a rendering programmer is not only harder and requires more constant learning, but also pays less.

Negative enough? laugh.gif
George,
It appears that your question is "can I get paid well" -- is that right? You are asking about how much you can get paid?

If that's your question, the annual Game Salary Survey doesn't cover game IT workers' pay...

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If your only goal is to maximize your salary, pick medicine or law. The highest paid jobs are in those fields.

Generally entry-level and mid-level games programmers make less than the business-centric database programmers.

Most people should be asking about what they enjoy doing. Do they enjoy creating games? (Creating games is very different from playing games.) Are you passionate about learning details of game hardware? Do you study game algorithms because you find them interesting? Do you try to dissect the rendering techniques and AI techniques and pathfinding techniques and processing tradeoffs made in the software? If your passion is in creating games and debugging games-related problems, then your question should be answered.
Thanks for the answers!

It appears that your question is "can I get paid well" -- is that right? [/quote]

No.I already have two years in game development and I know how it's paid.I just want to know exactly if business IT field can be more financial rewarding.

If your only goal is to maximize your salary, pick medicine or law. The highest paid jobs are in those fields.[/quote]

Game development(especially computer graphics) is my passion.No matter the answer I will never change my career.Frob, I have a positive answer to all your questions.
This is a question that I have for some time and no one has given me a definitive answer until now.And I am sure a lot of people can find this useful if they are only interested in money and not personal rewarding.

Working as a rendering programmer is not only harder and requires more constant learning, but also pays less.[/quote]
Generally entry-level and mid-level games programmers make less than the business-centric database programmers.[/quote]

So it's official...
Why should we play games with poor gameplay, weak AI but good graphics when we have REALITY?

Generally entry-level and mid-level games programmers make less than the business-centric database programmers.

So it's official...[/quote]
Yes. If that's all you needed to know, then this thread can be closed...?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='george_azure' timestamp='1304363185' post='4805600']

So it's official...[/quote]
Yes. If that's all you needed to know, then this thread can be closed...?
[/quote]

Yes.Thank you again for the answers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement