• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
IBCroc

FBX SDK dll linking problem

This topic is 2779 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All,

I've been trying to load FBX files into my C++ app, using the autodesk FBX SDK (2012.1). I'm using windows7, MS VC++ Express 2010, and DirectX/D3D11(not that this should affect anything). When I attempt to run the program, I get an error stating "Unable to run the program because XXXXXXX.dll is missing from your system. Reinstalling the program may fix the problem." I use XXXXXX because I get the same results with all 6 of the provided dlls, debug release, multithread, etc. If I include the headers without linking the lib (using #pragma comment ( lib, " XXXXXXXX.lib ") it fails to resolve external symbols (makes sense), so no win either way. I'm sure that a) the correct include and library file folders have been added to the project (same as with DX) and that b) the dll files it's looking for are in the lib\86 folder I've referenced. I've already tried:

- Including the FBXSDK_SHARED AND FSDK_NODLL preproccesor commands
- Reinstalling the SDK
- Cleaning the VC++ project and rebuilding
- Every library variation in the SDK
- scouring the FBX SDK forums and google.

I'm guessing I'm overlooking something really obvious. Any ideas?

Advertisement

I'm guessing I'm overlooking something really obvious. Any ideas?

Have you tried manually copying the DLL files required to the directory of your compiled program and trying to run the exe from outside of visual studio?

Thanks Yewbie, copying the DLLs into the directory of the exe worked, and pasting them into the project debug folder lets me run the program through VSC++ 2010.

Thanks Yewbie, copying the DLLs into the directory of the exe worked, and pasting them into the project debug folder lets me run the program through VSC++ 2010.

You can also change the "Working Directory" in your project properties (Debugging entry) to make Visual Studio run the exe from a path that contains your DLLs / resources as well. This method makes managing such setups a little bit easier since you do not have to remember to keep the files in each configuration up to date and in sync.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!