what is the best method to learn program a game

Started by
4 comments, last by Elegance 12 years, 11 months ago
:mellow: hi ,guys. there seems two way to learn: first one:learn program a game by make myself's game project,when i want to implement something in my game. i read books and find method to implement it. It means that learn by myself's project one step by step second one:read a lot of books but with little coding it out. what is your way to learn program game~ share it with me~:D
Advertisement
I learned by first learning basic C and C++ from books, and then downloading the source code to games like Half-Life and making mods for them. After making more and more advanced mods, I eventually learned how most of their game code and their engines worked.
I did BASIC on the Spectrum for many years as a kid then found that when I approached C for the first time, a lot of the concepts (variables, control flow, subroutines) were already well established in my head, which made things easier.

I'd recommend learning a simpler language than C or C++ first (Python, VB.NET) to get the basic concepts down in an environment that is a little more forgiving.

As for specifically learning game programming, meh, graphics and user input are the only really specific things. Pretty much everything else is just a case of "programming is programming is programming" so don't ever get put off by seemingly daft database or phone-book examples in books - the concepts translate as well into games as any other area.
:rolleyes: I already have some c++ knowledge and have code some APP on something but game. Now, I want to program my own 3d game .But, it seems that program a game is not a small project .To complete a funny game need much knowledge and experience As Hodgmans said, the way to learn from good game project is a good way to learn program a game . who can suggest me some good project to learn?

:rolleyes: I already have some c++ knowledge and have code some APP on something but game. Now, I want to program my own 3d game .But, it seems that program a game is not a small project .To complete a funny game need much knowledge and experience As Hodgmans said, the way to learn from good game project is a good way to learn program a game . who can suggest me some good project to learn?

Pong is a good project to start with, work your way up from there, take small steps, not big leaps.(You could still make it using 3D graphics if you want to learn that aswell)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
It's hard to take small steps, but you must take small steps. Try using SDL or openGL to make a 2D game. Like pong as someone suggested. When you feel you have displaying 2D graphics down, moving them, rotating them, etc etc, then go buy a linear algebra book. Pay special attention to matrix addition, multiplication, and rotation matrices. If you want to learn 3D well I highly recommend the book "Real-Time Rendering: third edition" if you have decent linear algebra and mathematics skills.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement