• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vicer1234

Wall climbing box2d

This topic is 2786 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi,
Has anyone used box2d for wall climbing feature???
Do we need to use sensors provided by Box2d in order to get it implemented???

All suggestions are welcome

Advertisement
Off the top of my head, I'd say yes, a combination of small circular sensors to detect whether a climbable shape was present, then perhaps revolute joints or rigid distance joints to actually bind the character to the wall.

Box2D is notoriously hard to use to make a decent character controller though. Best of luck :)

Box2D is notoriously hard to use to make a decent character controller though. Best of luck :)

Thanks for the reply.
What would be the best option to use inorder to implement these features including rope climbing.
I am trying to make a 2dplatformer using c++ and opengl. :)

Depending on the features you require, I'd question whether a physics engine like Box2D is the appropriate tool for the job to be honest. It may be the case that you could far more easily roll out a simpler system yourself just using AABBs that would be a lot more flexible in terms of implementing wall climbing, rope climbing etc.

I also believe that the latest version of B2D has support for kinematic bodies that you control yourself directly. This could be another option.

Depending on the features you require, I'd question whether a physics engine like Box2D is the appropriate tool for the job to be honest. It may be the case that you could far more easily roll out a simpler system yourself just using AABBs that would be a lot more flexible in terms of implementing wall climbing, rope climbing etc.

I also believe that the latest version of B2D has support for kinematic bodies that you control yourself directly. This could be another option.

Thanks for the reply.

Can you suggest some tutorials or algorithm for implementing these features like wall climbing, rope climbing etc
I am trying to implement a action packed 2d platformer game.

What are the options for implementing it using Opengl and C++. :)

OpenGL is a graphics library so has nothing to do with implementing physics.

The only tutorials I can think of offhand that relate to 2D platform physics are the N Tutorials over at Metanet, but if your game is just going to use axis-aligned rectangles, there is no need to get into SAT.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!