RTS - new concept for design

Started by
11 comments, last by CalebDeming 12 years, 11 months ago
ok, so i have this game in mind that combines a real time strategy and an mmorpg. ive played with this idea and i just cant stop thinking about it so i decided to make it. i have the units, the storyline, abilities all storyboarded and mapped out, now the problem is i dont have any experience in this type of thing. i know i sound pretty dumb to get this idea and try to take it on with no xp, its just that i literally cannot stop thinking about how much i want to play this game. now i know basics of coding and modeling but i am unsure of where to even start.

i use linux and windows(not by choice), i love the idea of open source game engines and have looked at engines such as, spring, torque, even dimensionex, and blender. i dont know what i would need to learn to have that mmorpg feel where your traversing a continent while controlling your armies in a long term game where you dont have to destroy the other races(but can just to mess with those jokers because they micro-ed your drones into the proverbial mineral field in the sky), but more you could have civilizations grow to huge proportions and also get destroyed. anyway my question is:

what engine should i use? what language would suit this build? and finally what would be the best modeling software to use?

ahead of time i want to thank you for any help it is appreciated and i hope that no one just steals this idea:)
lioff-proxy
Advertisement
When you have enough experience to execute the multi-million dollar project you're describing, you probably won't feel like making it anymore...

Start small!
[quote name='kiwibonga' timestamp='1304366771' post='4805626']
When you have enough experience to execute the multi-million dollar project you're describing, you probably won't feel like making it anymore...

though i know this could be a multi-million dollar project if done in a short amount of time by many people i plan on spending the majority of my life on this hobby by myself. if it cant be done by one person then could you direct me to a forum or online service that accepts ideas like this. i dont want to get paid from it i just want to play it. oh and one more thing. it doesnt have to have insane graphics it can even be a 2d game. like i said i just want to see it done:) thank you for your valuable yet disheartening input.
-lioff_proxy

edit ...
the reason i didnt want someone to steal it is i wanted to make sure that the project gets to a person with the vision to see it to completion and close to perfection. something that wouldnt happen if the idea was simply taken and half-a@@ed

Have you checked the Sloperama FAQ? That might debunk some of your questions.
I trust exceptions about as far as I can throw them.
An MMO is a multimillion dollar project no matter how long you spend developing it. There's a server infrastructure that you need to run it. You need to advertise it to get people to play, even if you don't want to get paid; MMOs don't work well with 10 players.

You can try to put together a team to work on it in an open-source way, but that's probably the best you're going to be able to do, and your ideas will still be steal-able. Your paranoia about someone stealing your idea is misplaced. Until it's executed, there's not much to steal. If it's made badly, but the ideas are good, someone might build on them and make a better game. Keeping it close to your chest only increases the chance that you will never, ever get to play your idea.

You shouldn't be worrying about details like the game engine, because even with a team you shouldn't be the one making those calls. Your lead programmer is the one who will decide.

If you're serious about game programming (not making this game only), then you'll need to start small. You can do modelling for other open-source projects, or for mods of games you already know and like. Programming is the same. You are not ready to take on this project. Assembling a team will get the skills you need on your side, but it's not especially likely that you'll get a team together to work on your idea because at present you are not bringing any relevant skills to the table. All you have is an idea that you won't share, which isn't going to motivate people to work for you, especially for free.

You can pursue this if you like. But the MMO is so far away it's best not to think about it right now. It's like saying that you want to fly a space shuttle, and have had a couple days' experience driving a Power Wheels around. Where do you start? Pretty far away from your ultimate goal. There are a million "I want to program games, where do I start?" threads. Take a look at some of them for some info.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

Did Love not follow through? From what I'd heard, it was supposed to be an MMO developed by 1-man on a low budget.

Of course, I haven't heard anything about it since it launched.

Did Love not follow through? From what I'd heard, it was supposed to be an MMO developed by 1-man on a low budget.

I think it's either launched or in alpha. You can find it if you google "love MMO". They are using http://www.dx.net/dxsolutions.html for hosting.

Yes that was one guy. He's also an industry veteran. Something like 5ish years professionally. and then he's both an amazing visual artist and a ridiculously good programmer. He also had a crapton of money from other projects and I think he has people licensing some of the tools he's built to build Love. All things are possible, that doesn't mean they are likely, especially for a beginner :)

Having heard him talk @GDC and whatnot, I'm pretty sure that "low budget" still means millions of dollars in his case. This is "low" for an MMO since MMOs usually cost hundreds of millions.

-me
It seems like everyone and their brother in the game industry wants to do massively-multiplayer these days but it's pretty much the hardest thing you can possibly do in games; only the open-world sandbox comes close. Even non-massive multiplayer is a huge pain unless you know what you're doing and plan for it from the beginning. Unless you happen to be an industry veteran with a highly-experienced team of developers I'd strongly suggest dropping the MMO part and stick with the RTS part.
1. Get visual studio C# and the XNA 4.0 framework first.

2. Get some knowledge about object oriented programming by doing some c# tutorials and reading articles like inheritance.

3. Then when you understand the basics do some XNA tutorials.

4. Then start a small project you KNOW you can complete within 1 or 2 working weeks of time and redo this step till you actually finish a game.

(If you have a lot of spare time like jobless me :( this should take about 3 weeks.)

Now you probably know how much it takes to develop the game you want. So you have 2 options here,

1, start on it get the basic engine up and running, add some basic art in it etc. Now you have something to show and you know what has to be done, what people you need for it etc, If you really invest much time in this, blog about it show screenshots etc people will get interested and might want to join your team. Some want contracts, some want prepaid and some might do it for free.

2, By now you have come up with other "smaller" ideas you like to work out and since you know that option 1 is gonna take at least a year to get some kind of form you will probably take option 2 a couple of times. :D
what language would suit this build?[/quote]

COBOL.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement