I am 14 years old and I would like to begin Video game programming

Started by
2 comments, last by DavidJamesRobinson 12 years, 11 months ago
Well simply i am very intelligent towards math but sadly i can not seem to understand programming I mean when i look at other's programming i can figure out its main function of being there and i promise you have many ideas towards game development but i have tried reading books and such but they seem not to work for me I have tried using Blitz 3D first when i was 12 then Unity 3D when i was 13 and i was even stupid enough to but Leadwerks which is 200 freaking dollars and it did not work for my computer or i thought it didn't. Truthfully i do not know I bought a Lua programming book last year which did not really bring much to my attention that i needed to begin using for RTS ,FPS or 3rd Person shooter games. I can easily figure out how to do what i want through diagrams but when it comes to putting these thoughts into programming i can not do so. Either i am lazy or someting else but i truly ask can you help please i truly need help I am driving myself insane and spending too much money!!!!!!!
Advertisement
You won't learn programming by doing anything other than programming. Looking at other people's code is generally not a good place to start. You can find free online programming tutorials and books. You should follow those and try to do all the examples. Mostly it takes time. It shouldn't take money.

You should also see if your high school offers programming courses and try to take one as soon as you are able. Or go talk to the computer science teacher, perhaps they would be interested in mentoring/tutoring you or otherwise helping you along.

-me

Well simply i am very intelligent towards math but sadly i can not seem to understand programming I mean when i look at other's programming i can figure out its main function of being there and i promise you have many ideas towards game development but i have tried reading books and such but they seem not to work for me I have tried using Blitz 3D first when i was 12 then Unity 3D when i was 13 and i was even stupid enough to but Leadwerks which is 200 freaking dollars and it did not work for my computer or i thought it didn't. Truthfully i do not know I bought a Lua programming book last year which did not really bring much to my attention that i needed to begin using for RTS ,FPS or 3rd Person shooter games. I can easily figure out how to do what i want through diagrams but when it comes to putting these thoughts into programming i can not do so. Either i am lazy or someting else but i truly ask can you help please i truly need help I am driving myself insane and spending too much money!!!!!!!

Start with something simple, FPS/RTS/etc games are very complex and aren't really good learning projects.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
My advise is to not try and do anything to big or try making a full game straight away. I first started when I was about 12 on a sinclair ZX81 and then a sinclair Spectrum computer. very very basic computers and u couldnt do much. but i remember that what helped me then was that there was magazines sold in the shops for them which were full of pages and pages of code. and by typing it all in you would have a very simple game that you could play. By doing this day in and day out just to be able to play a game I picked up how it all worked, especially when I typed something in wrong and over time started changing and adding my own bits in.
Eventually I started making my own simple games and still to this day when I try a new programming language I create the exact same game I did back then to see how the new language works and its pros and cons. random colored blocks which fall from the top of the screen to the bottom and stack up on top of each other. then add things like making the blocks vanish if 2 the same color land next to each other etc lol.

So I'd say choose an easy language to learn and start small. Maybe even print out some code that you like and type it all in bit by bit yourself and you'll learn a hell of a lot more you really will. I know its boring and tedious but it will help a hell of a lot. I'd defenitly go with blitz3d as it is very easy to learn and quite powerful. you can add extra functionality to it over time too like better shaders and collision libraries :rolleyes:

Good luck and have fun :)
THank you again but i have tried online programming tutorials and websites but i feel i am not really getting what i want out of them but as i have read i am supposed to start with C++ or some ting else any advice on any languages

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement