• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prefect

Antihydrogen Trapped For 1000 Seconds

96 posts in this topic

[quote name='Human Resource' timestamp='1304882401' post='4808207']One question... If you are such a brilliant scientist, how come your reputation has decreased over 9 times since you've joined this thread? If I recall correctly, it was 75 only five days ago.[/quote]

I think it has more to do with his erraticness and attitude than any lack of scientific prowess. I suspect his reputation would have increased rather than decreased if he had made the points he made in a calm, non-aggressive, non-insulting, and more easily followable manner.

EDIT: the style of his posts in this thread is just fine for anonymous forum trolling but not very suitable when trying to have an unanonymous, serious, and/or sensible discussion :/

[quote name='taby' timestamp='1304874047' post='4808147']
[quote name='Eelco' timestamp='1304785063' post='4807722']
[quote name='Antheus' timestamp='1304539621' post='4806554']
Quantum physics is the least confusing part of this thread...
[/quote]

The manic mind is a fascinating phenomena.
[/quote]

False. This is my permanent mode of operation, and so it's not actually manic. We just don't share the same baseline.

The point I was making is that it's kind of annoying when trollbaiters like Human Resource and forsandifs play games.
[/quote]

I dont know you well enough to comment on that; maybe you are indeed 'bi-winning', or a unipolar manic. But that hypothesis is rather inconsistent with the fact that it appears that you used to have a good rating until a few days ago. Or that you are married, or ever held any job whatsoever.

I have actually read your papers, and although im sure you conclude the same thing from them; they confirm my view on the matter.

You sir, are somewhere inbetween a hypomanic and manic state, and unfortunately you are probably doing the exact same thing to all other aspects of your life as you are doing to your rating here.

Sadly, I have no idea what to say to you, and you will probably just shout me down, but at least I tried: go talk to someone who knows about these things. Crosscheck your views on what your baseline actually is with people who know you well.

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1304897271' post='4808287']
Back on topic.

So what exactly are the hypothetical applications for anti-matter? Are there any?
[/quote]

Making the papal conclave interesting?

Back on topic.

So what exactly are the hypothetical applications for anti-matter? Are there any?
[/quote]

Aside from blowing up the Vatican, antimatter, if it could be produced and stored in useful quantities, would be great for [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter_rocket"]propulsion[/url]. There are also [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positron_emission_tomography"]medical applications[/url].

Also, I'd just like to point out that although the majority of physicists hypothesize that antimatter will fall "down", this has not yet been experimentally observed. There are theoretical arguments, yes, but these theories can still be falsified. This experiment is a direct test of these theories.

[quote name='Eelco' timestamp='1304897311' post='4808290']
stuff
[/quote]

The inconsistencies you mention are actually consistencies. You see, the vast majority of people aren't total liars. I only act in a totally hostile manner toward people who deserve it. You know as well as I do that my reputation would be in the thousands if I got a positive review for every time that I helped someone or was nice to them. If this was a popularity contest for me, I would have given up on gamedev.net long before that stupid racist topic regarding "Native Americans" got the green light from the mods. And now just days ago a stupid racist topic regarding "Black people" and "Indians" got the red light from the mods. This is where the inconsistency lies, not with I.

So, are you interested in the personal tutorial on how QG / LQG are broken models? Like I said before, the final paper made sense to actual theoretical physicists. There is nothing hypomanic-to-the-point-of-incomprehensibility about it.

Still waiting on Human Resource to get back to me on whether he also wants the tutorial.

[quote name='forsandifs' timestamp='1304892096' post='4808260']
[quote name='Human Resource' timestamp='1304882401' post='4808207']One question... If you are such a brilliant scientist, how come your reputation has decreased over 9 times since you've joined this thread? If I recall correctly, it was 75 only five days ago.[/quote]

I think it has more to do with his erraticness and attitude than any lack of scientific prowess. I suspect his reputation would have increased rather than decreased if he had made the points he made in a calm, non-aggressive, non-insulting, and more easily followable manner.

EDIT: the style of his posts in this thread is just fine for anonymous forum trolling but not very suitable when trying to have an unanonymous, serious, and/or sensible discussion :/
[/quote]

That's fair enough, but your lack of knowledge and posturing as some kind of knowledgeable person is very insulting, and actually hurts people.

You should read the book Three Roads to Quantum Gravity. You would find it interesting to note that Smolin's cosmological theory has an infinite number of solutions. Ironic, given that you oppose string theory for the infinite number of Calabi-Yau parameter configurations, don't you agree? It seems to me that following your logic consistently leads to only one conclusion -- you hate all of modern physics, string theory and non-string theory alike. So I really have to wonder why you even bother conversing with people on modern physics when your attitude is entirely negative and fixed like stone. Keep stringing everyone along like you're doing right now, and eventually everyone will see what I see -- you're a liar who will repeatedly change his story and say anything to cover his own ass.

Still up for the personal tutorial on QG / LQG? Or are you not willing to be honest with yourself and the rest of gamedev.net?

Back on topic.

[/quote]

It is highly probable that you will find [url="http://portal.acs.org/preview/fileFetch/C/CTP_005380/pdf/CTP_005380.pdf"]this magazine[/url] to be of interest.

Posted · Hidden

[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1304919200' post='4808382']
[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"][quote name='taby' timestamp='1303182694' post='4800159']Fancy rabbit with oversized ego.[/quote]
[/size][/font]
[/quote]

Yes that's right, I have an oversized ego because I call out liars who pretend to know more than they actually do. I'm not ashamed. But really, the oversized ego is well-deserved. Let me know if you're interested in the personal tutorial on QG / LQG.

Perhaps if Human Resource, forsandifs, Peter Woit, and Lee Smolin hadn't always lied or been so negatively critical of the extremely hard work put in by string theorists for no good reason whatsoever, I would have responded more positively. Once a hater always a hater, I guess. I'm not ashamed of attacking such people. What's really funny is that their defense is always "why are you so mean to other people"? ROFLMAOBBQ.

It's worth noting that I shut down the racist "Native American" thread with a lecture on fancy rabbits. So many people with undeserved egos talking negative shit about things they have no idea about. :)

Posted · Hidden

[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"][quote name='taby' timestamp='1303182694' post='4800159']Fancy rabbit with oversized ego.[/quote]
[/size][/font]
[/quote]

Yes that's right, I have an oversized ego because I call out liars who pretend to know more than they actually do. I'm not ashamed. But really, the oversized ego is well-deserved. Let me know if you're interested in the personal tutorial on QG / LQG.

Perhaps if Human Resource, forsandifs, Peter Woit, and Lee Smolin hadn't always lied or been so negatively critical of the extremely hard work put in by string theorists for no good reason whatsoever, I would have responded more positively. Once a hater always a hater, I guess. I'm not ashamed of attacking such people. What's really funny is that their defense is always "why are you so mean to other people"? ROFLMAOBBQ.

It's worth noting that I shut down the racist "Native American" thread with a lecture on fancy rabbits. So many people with undeserved egos talking negative shit about things they have no idea about. :)

[/size][/font]
[/quote]

Yes that's right, I have an oversized ego because I call out liars who pretend to know more than they actually do. I'm not ashamed. Let me know if you're also interested in the personal tutorial on QG / LQG.

Posted · Hidden

[quote name='taby' timestamp='1304918742' post='4808381']That's fair enough, but your lack of knowledge and posturing as some kind of knowledgeable person is very insulting, and actually hurts people.

you're a liar who will repeatedly change his story and say anything to cover his own ass.[/quote]

That's ironic too, and false. Despite your most aggressive efforts you have not managed to debunk my original statement that scientists have not been able to unify the 4 forces or my later statement that superstring theory is a dubious candidate to do so.

I may have been mistaken on two particulars of a dubious, quickly changing, unfinished, and unproven theory, which isn't even certain of its own fundamental particulars, and which I have not done more than skim the surface of (because it doesn't particularly attract my attention), but you have shown yourself to be a self admitted crackpot whose whole approach to science is actually based on ignorance, posturing, and insulting people and trying to damage their reputation.

In this disucssion you have been analogous to a baffling, pie throwing clown with poor eyesight and slow reflexes. And ironically, again, you have harmed/pie-d no one but yourself.

In fact I take, back my previous evaluation of your scientific ability and rate you down on that for the reasons above mentioned. You have no idea about proper science, and I doubt you ever been in a proper laboratory.

Further what you call "lying" and "changing his story and say anything to cover his own ass" highlights how dellusional you are. Your habit of pouncing on every word uttered in casual science conversation as if it were a legal document or an inflamatory article about child abuse tends to force that. And yes, I "change my story" if I'm mistaken about something as everyone adopting a scientific attitude should do. That does not make me a liar, in fact quite the opposite.

BTW, weren't you supposed to be leaving gamedev because you didn't like it here? Sincerely, I think that would be a good idea.

If all of you are complaining that Taby is trolling, then why do you continue to feed the alleged troll?

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1304947675' post='4808526']
If all of you are complaining that Taby is trolling, then why do you continue to feed the alleged troll?
[/quote]

Indeed, you make a good point. I'll simply exclude myself from further "discussion".

[/quote]

Because the alleged troll is damaging his brain every day he goes on like this, and turning what might be just a bad trip into the cultivation of a condition with questionable properties such as a 50% lifetime suicide rate?

I was really hoping that this thread would surge past the Osama view count. :(

Anyway,

From A First Course in String Theory, part 2.4 Relativistic energy and momentum (page 25 of 558)

[quote]
A central concept in special relativity is that of [i]proper time[/i]. [u][i][b][size="4"]Proper time is an invariant measure of time[/size][/b][/i][/u] (my emphasis). Consider a moving particle and two events along its trajectory. Different Lorentz observers record different values for the time interval between the two events. But now imagine that the moving particle is carrying a clock. The proper time elapsed is the time elapsed between the two events [i]on that clock[/i]. By definition, it is an invariant: all observers of a particular clock must agree on the time elapsed on that clock!
[/quote]

It would be unfair if I left the thread without mentioning that there are two measures for time in relativity; proper and coordinate. I found the reaction to my incorrect statement of "time is invariant" to be very informative.

I'll stop trollbaiting now. :)

Eelco, the only thing I'm damaging my brain with are cigarettes and Seroquel. If I really must spell it out for you -- I don't smoke pot or meth or whatever, or drink beer or Listerine or whatever.

Holy prejudice batman.

[quote name='taby' timestamp='1305040673' post='4808993']
Eelco, the only thing I'm damaging my brain with are cigarettes and Seroquel. If I really must spell it out for you -- I don't smoke pot or meth or whatever, or drink beer or Listerine or whatever.

Holy prejudice batman.
[/quote]
I didnt say or insinuate anything about you abusing drugs, but the fact of the matter is that the longer you go around like this, the more demonstrable damage your brain will take. Whether you consistently tweak your brain with cocaine or let your brain tweak itself, the long term effects are pretty similar.

Seroquel is indeed not something to be taking lightly; nor to be quitting lightly. Since you imply it is your biggest problem: Have you been quitting it, or not taking it consistently? Is any independent observer keeping track of its effect on you, and when did you last meet him/her?

Youd be doing your ideas on physics a favor if you would approach them with your brain operating at a safer speed, methinks.

Micron-sized extra dimensions:

[url="http://motls.blogspot.com/2011/05/type-iib-large-extra-dimensions.html"]http://motls.blogspot.com/2011/05/type-iib-large-extra-dimensions.html[/url]

[quote name='Eelco' timestamp='1304955900' post='4808578']
[/quote]

Because the alleged troll is damaging his brain every day he goes on like this, and turning what might be just a bad trip into the cultivation of a condition with questionable properties such as a 50% lifetime suicide rate?
[/quote]

Sorry bud, but you said I was damaging my brain. That implies drug use of some kind. Get your shit together and stop trying to be a psychologist.

Still, you told me in plain English in another post to stop taking the drugs that I'm on. Just because you stealth deleted it doesn't change that fact.

Fuck you dipshit ROFLMAOBBQ, you're just another liar who changes his story to suit his tastes.