Wanna learn together?

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 11 months ago
[font="Verdana"]So, I'm really ... really ... REALLY interested in making games. I've been playing them since I was 5 and have always dreamt of tinkering with making something on my own. I recently decided to venture down the road of books, online tutorials, forums, blogs, FAQs, and just about anything else I could think of to try and get started.

Problem is ... It's kinda overwhelming and I'm not sure I can really do it on my own. I assume most probably go to school and take the proper route of a CS degree and a buncha awesome classes to back it up. Unfortunately, I'm not really in a place right now to do that, and not having someone to at least toss ideas around with is kind of a bummer. I'm feeling like working with someone might benefit my learning style and provide a little boost in motivation. If I've learned anything recently it's that game design and development is better with MOAR BRAINS!

Sooooo ... anyone else out there in a similar situation that might be interested in pairing up to create a game from scratch? Starting from the wayyyyy wayyy bottom and working our way up?

Thinking something along the lines of:

[/font]
  • [font="Verdana"]Developing a concept and some core ideas for a game. (Concept art/scribbles, mock write up, game genre/type, systems and various game attributes lists, etc)[/font]

• [font="Verdana"]learn the code/engine/libs. (Can decide on this together. Considering though, I'd really like to take away an understanding of what goes into the actual programming of the game and it's different systems, so would prefer something not too hands-off.)[/font]

• [font="Verdana"]Meet up/Chat/Skype/Whatever regularly.[/font]

• [font="Verdana"]Etc? (Brainstorm other ideas for ways we can better benefit ourselves in the learning process.)[/font]
[font="Verdana"]
Basically, I guess what I'm looking for is a friend or two to take along the journey of learning to make a game. It'd be doubly as awesome to find someone local (Map), but the interwebs works too. [/font]

[font="Verdana"]So I suppose i'll leave it at that. Does this sound appealing to anyone else? Feel free to mail/PM me also. [/font]smile.gif
Advertisement
Changed the old dumb title.
You might give the Help Wanted forum a try.
What level are you at? I want to work with someone who is pretty fluent in c++ and is just starting game development.
I'd be up for it. I'm in the process of learning Java, but I've already begun with C++ (that isn't to say that I'm fluent, by any means. In fact, I've kinda pushed my C++ tutorials aside, but will be more than happy to pick it back up). I'm not sure about you and your learning preferences, but I would prefer to have the option of constant contact like exchanging phone numbers to periodically bounce ideas off of each other throughout the day with texting rather than scheduling Skype meetings and hoping the other has enough free time to attend. I have a couple questions, though:

1) What level are you at? Just beginning with a basic understanding of fundamentals? Or are you already programming small, but fairly complex (to a beginner) programs?

2) What type of games do you have in mind? Something simple like a side scrolling game or a more in-depth project?

Basically, I'm just beginning to dip my toes in the waters of programming, but have some prior experience with web development and whatnot. If I learn with anyone, I would rather it be with someone that I can share new things I've learned with and that can do the same for me, instead of steadily being a step or two ahead or behind.

epic,
You must use the Help Wanted forum for "let's do X together" type posts.
Closing this thread.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement