Noob making a 2D shooter

Started by
31 comments, last by AntonioR 11 years, 6 months ago
It is hard to find people who understand that making a game can be a hobby. I am starting this thread to show you what I am working on and to get some feedback, tips, comments...
It is a little project with uncertain future which I work on in my spare time.
I am at the stage in which I just try to make certain stuff work properly, so the game has just one test level for now.

The "game" uses a modified version of Advanced2D engine (J.S. Harbour). I just might rename it because of all the changes I am making to it.

I am using textures from my third year college project ( SS 2D TLGH ) , and some textures that I made myself or found using Google. Don't think that final version (if I ever finish it) will look like this or it will have anything to do with Serious Sam or Super Mario.
My inspiration are indie games like Soldat , Seal Hunter and Facewound.

Added pixel shader abbility
[media]
[/media]

Changed entity management and collision (this is a "stress test")
[media]
[/media]

To see my other videos or progress you can visit my imaginary software company's Facebook and Youtube page: :D
My YouTube channel
My Facebook page

My stuff that seems to work:
- pixel shaders (for individual sprites or the whole scene)
- multiple layer entity/sprite management
- updated bounding rectangle collision detection (works with "point" sprites, "line" sprites (two-three points :P), multiple collision boxes)
- scrolling textures (works with only one texture per "scroller")
- tile based large sprites (ground in the video is a large sprite drawn with a smaller texture)

My stuff that doesn't quite work:
- platforming (what an irony :() - colliding with platforms, walking on them, scrolling world objects... I will need help with that in "For Beginners" subforum.
- realistic bouncing

My wishlist:
- skeletal animation
- moving platforms...
Advertisement
Wow, it's looking great! Keep it up!
This is definitely a game I would play. I love 2D. That water effect at the bottom is genius. It's like 3D in 2D. I love the different choices in weapons. The cannon is my favorite lol.

Game Music Life

Because Game Music Is Life

Thank you guys for your positive comments :lol:

Here is one more cool video. I tried to implement skeletal animation few weeks ago. I doesn't look so bad, but I need to figure out how to make this code "reusable" so I can make enemies with it and add different animations and not just walking. Consider this 1% finished.

If anyone knows some internet site or something where I can find some help, please post it here.

2D Skeletal Animation - Test 1
[media]
[/media]
Are the birds in the sky like angels of death? I couldn't really identify the monsters running around on the ground but they look like mutants. The big blue thing was a robot right? Lol the growling noises were.....I wanna say scary but I don't wanna sound like an absolute chicken (even though it's closer to the truth). Let's just say I wasn't expecting to hear it lol. The sound effects actually are pretty cool. The gunshot noises especially. I'd probably lose horribly in these games but it really looks like fun. You seem to need good reflexes lol. It kinda reminds me of Castlevania II: Simon's Quest from the NES with the monsters coming at you kinda quick. Probably why I fancy this game 'cause Simon's Quest is one of my favorite games to play.

Game Music Life

Wow man! Very well done! I know it is early on so the quick points I am going to make will likely be useless as you will probably change things soon... but the character himself really stands out as cartoony and fake relative to everything else, and some of the sound effects sound like they may get annoying after a long time--though I may be wrong. I wasn't annoyed by them for the duration of the video, but after awhile it may be a bit much.

I'm really liking the graphics of the environment and the enemies. Also, the weapon variation seems to be relatively balanced as they all fulfill different roles. Keep up the good work!
:D You maybe didn't notice the name of the first video, enemies are from classic Serious Sam game. Those are Harpies, Kamikazes, Gnaars and Biomechs. I made my 2D enemy sprites using enemy models from that game. Most of the weapons and sounds are borrowed from that game too.

I am using what I can find, because this is made just too learn and I am not a 2D artist.

The player is just couple of squares for now, a test dummy, I thought it looks funny.

headzh.png

:D You maybe didn't notice the name of the first video, enemies are from classic Serious Sam game. Those are Harpies, Kamikazes, Gnaars and Biomechs. I made my 2D enemy sprites using enemy models from that game. Most of the weapons and sounds are borrowed from that game too.

I am using what I can find, because this is made just too learn and I am not a 2D artist.

The player is just couple of squares for now, a test dummy, I thought it looks funny.

headzh.png

Ohhh ok. I see it now in the first post lol. Yeah, I feel you. You're just teaching yourself the ropes. I think that's kool.

Game Music Life

Haha, awesome;) Reminds me of times were games were about fun & gameplay rather than making sense, complex character development, etc.

Haha, awesome;) Reminds me of times were games were about fun & gameplay rather than making sense, complex character development, etc.

Even if I wanted to, I don't have the knowledge to make it more complex :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement