Which license to use?

Started by
3 comments, last by Prefect 12 years, 11 months ago
Hello! guys
I am going to make a game engine but I am confused that with which license I should release my project.

My game engine can be used both as commercial and non-commercial.
It will be completely free.
But It will not be open source.
It will use
--SDL - GNU LGPL version 2
--Lua - MIT License
--DevIL - [font="Verdana, Helvetica"]LGPL[/font]
--Audiere - LGPL

I don't know much about licenses so please tell me which license is good for me and why and what does it states.
Advertisement
If it won't be open-source then you don't need to have any license - just don't give anybody source code.

just don't give anybody source code.

Not so fast :D

Suyash how are you linking to SDL, DevIL and Audiere?
Have you made any changes to those libraries?
"You insulted me!" I did not say that in the private message Tom Sloper!

[quote name='MartinsM' timestamp='1304435552' post='4805974']
just don't give anybody source code.

Not so fast :D

Suyash how are you linking to SDL, DevIL and Audiere?
Have you made any changes to those libraries?
[/quote]
Hasn't SDL gone to BSD or MIT? I can't remember which. It shouldn't matter how it was linked anymore.
It depends on the version of SDL you're using. I don't think the change is retroactive, and it is actually a little worrying. I do hope they really, thoroughly, made sure that every contributor is in agreement, or else there could be trouble down the line.

Other than that, the answer is: You can use any license you want, provided that you abide by the linking-related clauses of the LGPL for those libraries under the LGPL. Basically, as long as you link to those libraries dynamically (thus allowing users to replace them with their own version of those libraries), you can do anything you want.

(Things do change slightly if you want to make custom changes to those libraries - then you need to provide the source code of your modifications to those libraries - but I'm assuming that that's not the case.)
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement