• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kaellinn18

Best Book For Experienced Programmer

This topic is 2589 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to get some opinions on what book (or other resource) would be best to start with when learning game programming. I'm a very experienced programmer (8 years in the field, BS in computer science, minor in math), so I don't need a book that starts out teaching me about strings and for loops. What I would really like, if such a book exists, is a book that teaches the fundamentals of building a game in a modern development environment to someone who already knows their way around a programming language. Do you guys have any recommendations? I don't really care if it's openGL or DirectX or whatever.

Thanks!

Advertisement
I would highly recommend the Game Programming Gems series. It's a great catalog of "in the trenches" techniques. Also, David Eberly has written several excellent books on game engine design.

I would highly recommend the Game Programming Gems series. It's a great catalog of "in the trenches" techniques. Also, David Eberly has written several excellent books on game engine design.

Thanks for the info! I will check those out.

The games programming gems series are very specific to individual cases since they are a collection of research(research-type) papers. Some of the topics covered in the older editions, especially in the general section, are tried and trusted concepts.
Basically I'm saying read the contents before you buy as they aint cheap and maybe too specific to solving specific problems.
Check out libraries, amazingly mine has a few of these. Also still have access to my old uni library as an alumni and they have almost all.

Eberlys books are worth a read to understands some concepts.
I personally have not come across a book that is very advanced, all ones I have looked at or read are rooted in the starting blocks.

Imo read something like Eberly's, or Jason Gregory's Game Engine Architecture(imo very good, though not sure if you want a theory book like this) then look for white papers on topics you are interested in.
If you start leaning towards certain areas like AI, Physics, Graphics then there are far more decent sources to choose from (especially the white papers).

Game Coding Complete is, imho, worth a look. The game programming gems books, while you probably won't care about much in them (at least at this stage) and I cannot tell you which ones (there are 8, I believe) to get, are great and have some worthwhile topics. More important than books is to just try something and learn by doing, though. If your goal is to develop games quickly, rather than, say, learning about game engines, I would recommend using a commercial engine, which will let you skip much book reading (you will probably still want to learn the underlying tech at some stage, but it will let you get started right now without requiring you to read several tick books first). UDK would be my personal choice right now.

Game Coding Complete is the book that looked the most promising from my Amazon search, so I'm glad to know that it's pretty decent. Right now I'm going through the free tutorial over at MSDN for XNA (http://create.msdn.c...gamedevelopment). Though they do still explain variables, arrays, lists, etc for newbies, this is at least getting me started with the game loop, loading assets, polling for input, etc and the proper order for all of these. Once I finish this, I'll probably check out Game Coding Complete. Thanks for the input, everyone!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!