Inertial Reference Frame & inertial coordinate space

Started by
0 comments, last by Burnt_Fyr 12 years, 11 months ago
Hi all. I am a newbie at this matricies and all. I hope I didnt ask a weird question.

I have 2 questions which i couldnt find an answer that would make sense on internet. Is "Inertial reference frame" has the same meaning as Inertial Coordinate space?

Also was wondering if my understanding correct regarding to Intertial Coordinat space.I ll explain this with an example to make it simple for my self.

lets say axes of the Absolut coordinate space is defined by a simple diagonal 4x4 row matrix
A =

Lets say the axes of the inertial coordinate space is defined by another 4 x 4 row matrix.

I =

and lets say i have an object where the center of mass is reletive to InertialSpace(I)
C.O.M = 4D row vector [2,0,0,1]

if i rotate the inertial space "lets say 90 degree around the z axis" of absolut coordinate space (A) would also transform the object that is connected to Inertial space (I).am I correct at this?

Thanks,
Regards.
Advertisement

Hi all. I am a newbie at this matricies and all. I hope I didnt ask a weird question.

I have 2 questions which i couldnt find an answer that would make sense on internet. Is "Inertial reference frame" has the same meaning as Inertial Coordinate space?

Also was wondering if my understanding correct regarding to Intertial Coordinat space.I ll explain this with an example to make it simple for my self.

lets say axes of the Absolut coordinate space is defined by a simple diagonal 4x4 row matrix
A =

Lets say the axes of the inertial coordinate space is defined by another 4 x 4 row matrix.

I =

and lets say i have an object where the center of mass is reletive to InertialSpace(I)
C.O.M = 4D row vector [2,0,0,1]

if i rotate the inertial space "lets say 90 degree around the z axis" of absolut coordinate space (A) would also transform the object that is connected to Inertial space (I).am I correct at this?

Thanks,
Regards.

the question is a little vague but I'm going to assume that I know what info your after.

A coordinate space i would say is a volume defined relative to a frame. I could consider my orientation, ie facing north, with up pointing out of my head, and the third axis point out through one of my arms. This is my "frame" of reference. I can view and describe objects relative to it. So something is in front of me(local reference frame ), if it is further north than I am('absolute' reference frame). If I turn to the left, something is in front of me if it is further west than I am.

If you have a hierarchy of coordinate spaces, with matrix transforms denoting each frames relation to it's parent, then yes, changing the inertial frame, will have the result of also changing things further down the hierarchy. This is how scene graphs and hierarchical animations work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement