Game engine for simple multiplayer game?

Started by
12 comments, last by SkyWhe 12 years, 10 months ago
I'm inspired to create a community based game, and I'm looking for a free game engine for the PC and eventually mobile (low priority). If not a game engine, then some kind of program that makes it easier to make my game? I have good knowledge of Java and C# and willing to learn other languages like C and C++, so language is no problem.

The game itself is pretty simple. It's turn based, and you click on choices for your turn. It connects to a main server, which utilizes a database that contains user information like stats. Also, I'd like it to have a built in chat system, like an integrated IRC.

I'm not sure if I need 3D support, but I just want it to look as good as this one: http://bbsimg.ngfile...90715b1cd3e.jpg
So maybe openGL or DirectX support?

I just downloaded the Unity game engine, but I'm not really sure if this engine is too complex for my game. It might end up just slowing down a simple game.

I'm quite new at developing games, and I'd very much appreciate it if you help me start up. Thanks
Advertisement

I just downloaded the Unity game engine, but I'm not really sure if this engine is too complex for my game. It might end up just slowing down a simple game.
I'm quite new at developing games, and I'd very much appreciate it if you help me start up. Thanks

I was just going to recommend Unity. It's an awesome game development environment. It's a bit harder to work with for 2D than for 3D, though -- if all you want is 2D, you might want to keep looking.

Is this going to be a networked/multiplayer game? If not, we should move this thread to another forum.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Yes it is very important for the game to be multiplayer and connected to a dedicated server.

[color=#1C2837][size=2]I'm a little confused with Unity's features. It seems that Unity is focused more on Adventure type games? The game I have in mind is not adventure at all. It's like those online Board games on Yahoo games. I'm wondering if I can achieve such a game with Unity?
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]If there are other suitable engines out there please let me know
sfml-dev.org

sfml is a good engine for 2D-type games, like the board games you mentioned. it's not too difficult, and it has a networking package, along with graphics, sound, and input.

Check it out

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

Can I use SFML to connect to mySQL database?

I'm also thinking of having a username and statistics database, so I think MySQL support is important. Sorry for not pointing it out earlier.

EDIT: I was just informed that SFML doesn't directly support mySQL, and that I would have to code this on my own.

Can anyone lead me on how I will need to integrate mySQL with SFML?

SFML sounds really what I'm looking for, only minus the database support.

[color="#1C2837"]I'm a little confused with Unity's features. It seems that Unity is focused more on Adventure type games? The game I have in mind is not adventure at all. It's like those online Board games on Yahoo games. I'm wondering if I can achieve such a game with Unity?

Sure you can. You have control of the scene and the camera. Put a game board object in the middle of the scene. Put the camera straight "up" from the board (or slanted, for that matter). Put game pieces on the board, as models. Out comes a beautifully rendered game board!

Regarding database and back-end: Generally, you will need to write your own code for integrating with various systems, no matter what the engine.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
I know you want to learn a new language but given your java background another option is JMonkeyEnginge. It seems to have come on since version 2 a lot and its got a networking module as part of it, which has also recently been updated.

I have a background in C++ and now Java and I find the structure of JMonkey very well conceived.

Matt

[quote name='spikaa' timestamp='1304543943' post='4806581']
[color="#1C2837"]I'm a little confused with Unity's features. It seems that Unity is focused more on Adventure type games? The game I have in mind is not adventure at all. It's like those online Board games on Yahoo games. I'm wondering if I can achieve such a game with Unity?

Sure you can. You have control of the scene and the camera. Put a game board object in the middle of the scene. Put the camera straight "up" from the board (or slanted, for that matter). Put game pieces on the board, as models. Out comes a beautifully rendered game board!

Regarding database and back-end: Generally, you will need to write your own code for integrating with various systems, no matter what the engine.
[/quote]
Isn't Java relatively slower than C++?

What's your experience with JMonkey in terms of speed, compared to other engines?
C++ can be faster than Java yes. However, this is not an important question. The most important question is is Java quick enough for me to do what I want and I would say that it definitely is. Infact, I would argue that it is fast enough for what most people could hope to do in a hobbyist role.

C++ might provide you with more transferable skills for the game industry, but then learning the language is not the most difficult this you will have to do to write a game.

There are many arguments about this so all I will say is:

If you want to write a game use the language you are most familiar with. There will be lots of things to overcome and you don't wont to worry about the basics whilst you are trying to do this.
If you want to learn C++, and are writing a game to do this, then go for one of the suggestions above.

When I learnt DirectX, using C++, I did not use an engine because it was not what I wanted to learn; I wanted to learn the basics not to actually write a game. I find the progress I make using JMonkey much faster, but this time the aim is to teach myself Networked FPS logic, so the engine bears the brunt of all the stuff I am not overly interested in. It is plenty fast enough for what I want to do and I doubt I will ever push the performance of the engine as the effort involved in modelling etc to do that is far too great!

Matt
CoCos2D might be just what you need. Also thenewboston on Youtube provides excellent tutorials for it :)
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz
XFX ATI Radeon 5770 1GB GDDR5
ASUS M4A89GTD Pro USB 3.0
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB 1600MHz
THERMALTAKE V3
SEAGATE 500GB
WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64 Bit

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement