Help?

Started by
2 comments, last by mogmoogle 12 years, 11 months ago
I need help selecting a programming language to learn in order to create games, I am certainly not going to be creating world of warcraft. But I really enjoy turn based tactical RPG's and there isn't many of them and I want to make one. I have experience in modding games, and I also have experience using blender and 3d studio to create models, and I have experience in 2d graphics as well. But I would like to write my own engine, because its difficult for me to work with other peoples material as i have to learn what they did in order to work around it.

I have no problem reading the material and doing the work or comprehending it, I just don't want to start working with something and realize that it won't do what I want it to do, in the long term.
Advertisement
Almost any programming language will let you do what you want, really. If you have no experience programming, the standard suggestions are Python, C#, and maybe Java, all of which will let you do what you're describing. There are tons of threads that discuss these further, so I'd suggest that you look around them for more information.

Writing your own engine is something I will advise you against, for several reasons.

First, it's hard. As a new programmer, you aren't anywhere near the level of skill you'll need to do this, and the skills that will help you you will get from writing games, which will be easier using existing engines.

Second, write games, not engines.

Third, depending on the engine that you choose to work with, it might be something that you can modify or extend fairly easily with your own code if you need to add functionality.

Fourth, learning about an engine's capabilities and how to work with it will take significantly less time and effort than writing your own, particularly with point #2 above in mind.

Finally, since you aren't talking about game design per se, this might be better placed in the For Beginners section.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

Game Design is the wrong forum. Moving to For Beginners. Mog, you might want to read the For Beginners FAQ (above).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Game Design is the wrong forum. Moving to For Beginners. Mog, you might want to read the For Beginners FAQ (above).

I didn't see the forum the first time I was here.

I have used python a bit,

C# and Java I both did hear were good however, I thought they used a huge amount of memory making larger games a difficulty.

Here's the thing, I'm not really worried about the complexity of the language, more that it is modern and efficient and meet my needs, I would like to use 3d models since I know how to use blender, and 3d studio max and can produce my own art work. I just want to find a language I can really get into.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement