If a thread is locked, shouldn't post ratings be locked as well?

Started by
3 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 12 years, 7 months ago
I don't think people should still be allowed to rate someone when the thread is locked. If it's view-only, it should be strictly view-only. No other input allowed.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
ratings are separate from postings, there's no reason the two should be linked in such a way. If a thread was closed it was because of the overall discussion, but individual posts can still have meaning and be recognized (either for good or for bad)

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Good point, I agree.

Although I'd rather threads not be locked at all, unless it's things like spam (if individuals are breaking the rules, they should be dealt with directly). It's sad to see that the Gamedev has fallen into the common trap where a mod locks a topic that people are still contributing to, in this recent case with not even a reason being supplied.

If you're not interested, don't read it.

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

Good point, I agree.

Although I'd rather threads not be locked at all, unless it's things like spam (if individuals are breaking the rules, they should be dealt with directly). It's sad to see that the Gamedev has fallen into the common trap where a mod locks a topic that people are still contributing to, in this recent case with not even a reason being supplied.

Active threads with constructive discussions are never supposed to be closed, unless they are about topics we don't allow here. Threads that are closed and on topic for this community are closed because the discussion has derailed and the comments are no longer constructive (flame wars, name calling and such), and further discussion is not going to advance the threads any more.

I checked the locked threads the last 3 months in some of the more popular and active technical sub-forums, and I found no locked thread that had a constructive discussion going on. The three by far most common reasons were: (1) double posts (locked all but one, of course), (2) help wanted post that wasn't in the help wanted section (they aren't moved because special rules applies in the help wanted forum), or (3) threads that had derailed into non-constructive noise.

Feel free to point out a specific thread if you have an example. But also keep in mind that a single, or even a few, direct examples doesn't make it as much of a habit as you make it sound.

If you're not interested, don't read it.

It's not about "not reading it", because activity is going to keep the threads active and visible for no constructive reason. It lowers the signal to noise ratio for no constructive reason.

ratings are separate from postings, there's no reason the two should be linked in such a way. If a thread was closed it was because of the overall discussion, but individual posts can still have meaning and be recognized (either for good or for bad)

Ratings are not separate from postings. The two are forever linked. Majority of the ratings are from posts. Barring special situations, such as: articles, donations, or other GD-related events, which are not given left and right, the bulk of the ratings for 90% of the people here will come from posts. If no one is able to contribute to a thread, why should I then be still subject to downratings? Rating a post is contributing to a thread. Adding a new post is contributing to a thread. If the thread is locked, then no one can contribute, ie. post, to a thread. Therefore, contributing to a thread, in all forms, should be locked across the board.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement