NeHe tutorials license

Started by
2 comments, last by ForceMagic 12 years ago
Hi all.

I've ported the code of NeHe's tutorial 09 to an Android Live Wallpaper and was accused of ripping off its code to make it:

"Too bad you ripped this source code off from an Android OpenGL tutorial. Must be hard when other people do the work for ya huh?"

Although it's not based on any Android Opengl tutorial, it's based on Nehe's Tutorial 09.

This is the Market page for it: Dancing Stars - Android Market

While it's true that I based my work on the tutorial, I made several modifications to it, as for personalization, performance & quality control, etc.

So, based on this, I have two questions:

1. I'd like to provide the Android port of the code, who should I contact?
  2. Is it legal or correct to sell the "advance" version of the live wallpaper? If it's not, I'll gladly remove it from the Android Market.

While I get a response, I'm removing the pay version from the Market.. I'm deeply sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused.

Regards.

David Erosa

My first commercial game: Soccertron

Advertisement
Hi David,

this is the perfect location to ask for these issues, and I'm really sorry that the reply took so long.

Well on the one hand the comment is right, your app seems to be mainly based on the idea of the NeHe lesson, but on the other hand you really put in a lot of work to get different shapes and movements of the particles running, so I think it should be okay.

As Jeff's Readme reads:
If you use the code for your own projects please give me credit, or mention my web site somewhere in your program or it's docs.[/quote]
You should be fine if you did that, though I didn't see something like that in the Android Market.

Hope that helps, cheers
Carsten

Hi David,

this is the perfect location to ask for these issues, and I'm really sorry that the reply took so long.

No problem for the delay :)

As Jeff's Readme reads:
If you use the code for your own projects please give me credit, or mention my web site somewhere in your program or it's docs.[/quote]
You should be fine if you did that, though I didn't see something like that in the Android Market.[/quote]

Shame on me. I've already corrected that on the app description. I guess It'll take a while to refresh the web content.

Finally, I unpublished the paid version and released all the features with the free one. I just put an ad at the top of the preference screen.

Thanks for the response!

My first commercial game: Soccertron

Greetings,

I was also wondering if there is any license for the use of NeHe tutorials in any program.

Since the author mentioned that his name and website should be referenced in the code or the documentation of a project using NeHe's code, I thought I would write a template that everyone could use. I am a future software engineer and I always have been highly concerned with copyright and reference.

As you might have noticed, English is not my first language and since I am not a lawyer, I'm unsure of the correctness of the following note. Feel free to improve it or give me suggestion about it.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Important Note
// ==============
// This file or program code base provenance has been taken from the tutorials of
// NeHe productions. The website can be reach at http://nehe.gamedev.net/.
// While there is currently, April 2012, no defined license for NeHe productions's
// code, the owner has explicitly specified that his name and website reference
// shall be mentioned in any program that is using in any way his samples.
// This template intent is to provide a basic mention of the author's claims.
// Jeff Molofee is the author of NeHe productions code.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I would like to include this in my program (top of the file). Could you tell me if this would be a valid reference?

Hope to help!

Regards

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement