• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
auto.magician

Page Faults in PIX

This topic is 2600 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could shed some light on my findings.

Direct3D9.0c :-

I've created an app that simply creates and opens a window, opens the Direct3D Device, renders a blank screen, waits for the escape key, then exits. This is working perfectly as expected.

I thought I'd take a look at the PIX software to examine this simple little app for getting an insight in to what really happens inside DX and getting to grips with PIX.

What I've found though is that I am getting between 3000 and 4000 memory page faults according the information in PIX.

Is this kind of thing a normal operation for such a simple app?

Is there more information you'd need to help root out this problem?

Many thanks in advance

Advertisement

What I've found though is that I am getting between 3000 and 4000 memory page faults according the information in PIX.
Per second? Per frame? Over the lifetime of the process?

Sorry,

In PIX I'm selecting 'Statistics for each frame' and I tick the HUD box.

The info is shown for each frame, listed under 'Memory: Page Faults/sec' in the Events window. ( [EDIT] after I choose to exit the app and the PIX info then gets displayed. )

For the first 200-300 frames it shows as 0, then after that it can peak to 21000. It kind of averages out to 3000 to 4000.

Well, I can't claim to be an expert in the area but I don't think you should worry about page faults.
Page faults / sec is the sum of hard and soft page faults. Soft page faults are where the data is found elsewhere in RAM.
Hard page faults are generated whenever the VMM has to fetch data from the pagefile on the disk.

And the page faults / sec is a system wide counter so you'll still have them without running your application.

Well, I can't claim to be an expert in the area but I don't think you should worry about page faults.
Page faults / sec is the sum of hard and soft page faults. Soft page faults are where the data is found elsewhere in RAM.
Hard page faults are generated whenever the VMM has to fetch data from the pagefile on the disk.

And the page faults / sec is a system wide counter so you'll still have them without running your application.

Hiya,

Thanks for info, but.....

Should I ignore it completely ? or will there be a time to take notice ?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!