• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DarkRonin

Problems with non static variables in a class

This topic is 2696 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys,

I am having a problem with a varible (a Socket) within a class.

At compile time it says "illegal reference to non-static member"

If I make the variable static, it compiles ok but then gives linker errors.

Any ideas on what is going wrong would be awesome :)

Advertisement
Post the code that's causing the compile time error.

Sounds like you're trying to access the member without actually having an instance of the class, such as from a static member function.

I am having a problem with a varible (a Socket) within a class.

At compile time it says "illegal reference to non-static member"

If I make the variable static, it compiles ok but then gives linker errors.

For the linker error, you're probably missing the definition of the variable in your .cpp file:

// header file
struct T {
static Socket* socket;
};

//in the .cpp:
Socket* T::socket;

With static class members, both, as jmastro demonstrated.

However, there's a huge difference between a regular class member and a static class member! Do you want your variable to only ever have a single instance, or do you want one instance of the variable per object? What are you trying to do?

Just a single instance that can be used class-wide.

I am using a Socket instance where a public function within the class calls up a function that performs a socket read. The socket read is multi-threaded - so it will poll away.

So, currently (since starting ths post) I have declared a socket in the private: part of the class and have made a reference to it by putting SOCKET *pSocketClient; in the CPP file and copying the private socket to *PSocketClient in the constructor.

Is that an ok way to handle the problem?

Posted · Hidden
Hidden

Is that an ok way to handle the problem?

Erm, probably not. Sounds a bit confused. jmastro has already posted the correct way to declare and define a static class member.

It is a superior solution to a global/static variable (mostly).

If you just are using the socket for one or two functions you might make it a parameter to those functions. It depends on what T is, some objects have no business holding a reference to such I/O handles.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!