• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
crivens

2D movement based on direction and speed?

This topic is 2780 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to move an object in 2D space in pygame. I'm using:

self._pos.x += self._speed * math.cos(self._angle*math.pi/180)
self._pos.y += self._speed * math.sin(self._angle*math.pi/180)

self._bb.center = (self._pos.x, self._pos.y)

But the movement seems to be off by approximately 90 degrees. Any ideas why? I'm stumped. Thanks

Advertisement
Is 0 degrees supposed to point straight up? Or is it supposed to point directly to the right?
I'm not very good at math, but I've found that some APIs have '0 degrees' be about 90 degrees off from what I was expecting/assuming.

Check if this is true for you and your API. Is your API thinking that 0 is to the right, while you are thinking it is pointing straight up?
Are your math functions making any assumptions as well?

Is 0 degrees supposed to point straight up? Or is it supposed to point directly to the right?
I'm not very good at math, but I've found that some APIs have '0 degrees' be about 90 degrees off from what I was expecting/assuming.

Check if this is true for you and your API. Is your API thinking that 0 is to the right, while you are thinking it is pointing straight up?
Are your math functions making any assumptions as well?

That's a good question, but I have no idea how to find that out. What part is the culprit? I mean, I'm only using cos/sin and PI. Otherwise I'm just adding the deltas for X/Y to the position. And then I'm rendering the object in pygame (0,0 is top/left of the screen, with positive X to the right and positive Y down to the bottom of the screen).

Thanks

Using the code you posted, a rotation of 0 degrees/radians should result in movement to the right, along the positive x axis.

Is that what you want? Or are you wanting a rotation of 0 to correspond to some other direction?

Using the code you posted, a rotation of 0 degrees/radians should result in movement to the right, along the positive x axis.

Is that what you want? Or are you wanting a rotation of 0 to correspond to some other direction?

I assumed it would move in a negative Y direction - up the screen.

I assumed it would move in a negative Y direction - up the screen.

What was your assumption based on? (That might help in pointing you in the right direction.)

Everything I've ever worked on with Graphics has always had 0 degree's being along the positive X axis (ie, normally to the right).

If you could explain your assumption that might help us explain to you why this is so.

Indeed, the way you're using the math is based on the unit circle:
unitCircle.jpg
Note that at theta = 0, x = 1 and y = 0. That's your base, unrotated case. If you want to have "up" equal 0 degrees, either add 90 to your result, or change the environment context in general (i.e. +x moves up, -y moves left, -x moves down, etc...)

Thanks all - I was so tired last night I couldn't see the wood for the trees. I suddenly realised my mistake as I was lying in bed trying to get to sleep. I made a poor assumption about 0 degrees pointing upwards but then I realised it depended on the coordinate system of pygame, which uses +ve X to the right. So with that knowledge my code and the results are correct.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!