GameDev.net Community Challenge!

Started by
319 comments, last by AndyEsser 12 years, 6 months ago
I'm ashamed to say I spent most of yesterday night trying to break 2000 points :) Love the game, but my reflexes are non-existent :P

One thing I really like is how each game is different -- almost genetic! It all depends on the sequence of powerups you get. And of course, it was a very polished entry; congrats again!

Some ideas for new power ups:
- Bubble size reduced (perhaps the bubble could also start off bigger than it is currently)
- Life meter (Start with 1 HP max, with an increasing allowance as you move forward)
- Companions (bubbles that rotate around you like the shells in mario kart and can protect you, popping if they hit an enemy)
- Bad luck (spawns tough enemies around you)
- Enemy recoil (your shots knock enemies back)

Suggestions:
- Servant of the Lord already mentioned this, I believe; it would be nice if Esc paused the game instead of closing it
- On-screen display of current powerups (could be little icons in the corner)
- Don't know if this should be another game type entirely, but how about announcing the waves (wave 1, wave 2, etc)... And perhaps allowing the player to restart from a wave that was previously cleared (starting at score 0). The game could be like 100 waves deep, and the ability to restart would allow us to train for certain enemy types!

(You'll notice most of those suggestions are to make the game easier... lol :))
Advertisement
Hmmm. At one point I thought it could be cool to be able to choose your upgrades, cos I like those kind of games. But on further thought, I think it would ruin the flow of the game, and would probably kill the hectic arcade vibe it has going on. It would be good to have some kind of indication of where you're at with your upgrades, but it might be tricky to do without cluttering the screen.

My only other suggestion would be to maybe tone the spinning spikey things down a little bit. Whether it's to make them slightly slower, or weaker, or just to limit how many can be on screen at once, I'm not sure. But a few times when I was starting to get up into the 3-4k+ range, I felt like the only thing determining just how high my score would get was how long it took for a nasty spawn of 6 or so spikeys to happen. And once it did, game over!

Edit: I like pretty much all of kiwibonga's powerup suggestions, except that I can't say I like the idea of 'bad' powerups. Kiwibonga, did you discover that space pauses? Much easier to hit than Esc.
Thanks for the suggestions, I agree with most of them. Here are some things that I was thinking:

-Red spinning enemies are a little to difficult in certain scenarios
-Not a huge fan of having health, but I think I might add a shield powerup that allows you to be hit without dying
-There needs to be an intermediate enemy after the green bubbles, so the beginning of the game is a little more exciting
-Special power that shoots bullets in all directions (Cooldown based perhaps)

I'm also hoping to implement some graphical improvements.

Kiwibonga, what all are you planning to do to your game?

Thanks for the suggestions, I agree with most of them. Here are some things that I was thinking:

-Not a huge fan of having health, but I think I might add a shield powerup that allows you to be hit without dying
-There needs to be an intermediate enemy after the green bubbles, so the beginning of the game is a little more exciting

i like those ideas :)

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Those sound good :)

I'm honestly thinking of going commercial... I hope the people who said "I would totally buy this if it was a full game" were serious! It seems like it would be a good project to learn about mobile programming, if I can somehow acquire a mobile device and license. I would have to rework it a lot though, and that could take some time; the bitmap level format was convenient to get levels out quickly, but definitely not flexible enough for a "serious" application (bouncing, for instance, requires different pixel colors depending on whether the bars are horizontal or vertical, and the bugs are hard to fix when platforms aren't 100% level -- the file sizes are not worth the trouble).

Wanna assemble an "indie bundle?" :)
I agree that the game is probably better without health. A one-time-use type thing could be good. And everything else you said sounds good too.

One other very important thing: an online leader board!!! Just look at the crazyness around games like N. So much more satisfying getting an awesome score if you know you just beat someone else out of the top 10 or something.

Kiwi, I hate to be an evangelist, but have you considered unity? You would only have to write the game once, and with very little tweaking, be able to deploy to web, desktop (mac and windows), and for $400 each, iPhone and Android. The only limitation being that you would probably want iOS and android devices to test on, and that Mr Jobs demands you buy a Mac to develop apps on. But there's nothing to stop you from building the game, make some cash from a desktop version, and then reinvest that in getting it onto mobiles.

Might make it easier to do some things too. Collision is as easy as:
Drag and drop Collider and Rigidbody components onto your GameObjects.
Tick the boxes to set them as kinematic and triggers.
Write OnTriggerEnter() functions for each type of object.

Again, sorry to spruik it so much, but I can't help it, Unity is teh awesomes.
It does sound like an interesting option for fast deployment, but I don't have the budget for it now... I'm most likely going to publish for desktops/netbooks first, and then take it from there. My C++ framework is cross-platform in theory, so the only non-trivial port would be to iOS...
I'm planning on making an XBLIG (Xbox Live Indie Game) version of my game. In the past couple years, I've been working on two different games that I hoped to release on that platform, but I never finished them because they were a little too big in scope than I was ready for. This game is much smaller and much simpler so I shouldn't have much of a problem finishing it. I've already got it running on the Xbox, so now I'm just adding features and content. It probably won't sell super well (the dual stick shooter genre is quite saturated on the Xbox, so there is lots of competition), but it's been a goal of mine to release something on that platform for a long time and I'm happy with BubbleTime, so it seems like good idea.
That's cool, I hope the game gets noticed! Do keep us updated!
Hi there,

Here's a little reworked version of my entry: Download (ZIP, 15 MB)

I fixed a few bugs and added a (big) level... Also you can change the resolution of the game by editing the ini file; see readme.txt.

Stay tuned for a commercial release... Hopefully by the end of the year!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement