Sign in to follow this  
zer0wolf

GameDev.net Community Challenge!

XXChester    1364
I will have to check my calendar to see how busy I am next weekend but I might be in. Although all I have access to is are XP 32 and 64 bit machines.

kiwibonga    183
Sounds interesting! If it's a go, I'll definitely make time for it. As far as platform goes, I would target Windows PCs.

Do you have a link to the previous challenge you mentioned in your journal post?

Moe    1256
Could be fun, but I'm busy that weekend.

But yeah, I think we are overdue for another contest. Also, where did the links to the 4 Elements contest entries disappear to? I noticed they weren't there after the change in GDNet...

zer0wolf    1022
kiwibonga, I wish I had a link, but it was seriously like 3 years ago and was on the old forums. I'm not even sure how to find old posts like that.

GWDev has started up a conversation with me about some more prizes he is willing to kick in, more details to come :)

Didn't even realize that Google CodeJam was starting up. This is certainly a bit different sort of challenge, though!

kiwibonga    183
Found it: [url="http://www.gamedev.net/topic/462106-labor-day-weekend-gamedev-contest---winners-announced/"]http://www.gamedev.net/topic/462106-labor-day-weekend-gamedev-contest---winners-announced/[/url]

Almost 4 years ago! :)

AndyEsser    394
I'd be up for a joining this. Not entered a competition like this, and my codebase is looking just about up to it.

I'd suggest a Windows platform - simply because it will open it up to more developers and players - although that still encompasses EXE, HTML, Java, etc - so the potential to run on other platforms is still available.

eedok    982
Hidden
[quote name='kiwibonga' timestamp='1304709099' post='4807461']
Found it: [url="http://www.gamedev.net/topic/462106-labor-day-weekend-gamedev-contest---winners-announced/"]http://www.gamedev.n...ners-announced/[/url]

Almost 4 years ago! :)
[/quote]
There was one more recent than that where the theme was Spring, though it was a 3 hour one

eedok    982
The time for these is getting harder to come by for me, but if I can get at least 8 hours of dev time in those 3 days I'm in

zer0wolf    1022
Reformatted the overview, added judging criteria, added current list of contestants, added current list of judges, and added more prizes (thanks GWDev!).

kiwibonga    183
Plugged it on Reddit, hope you don't mind: [url="http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/h6w79/gamedevnet_community_challenge_72_h_compo_needs/"]http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/h6w79/gamedevnet_community_challenge_72_h_compo_needs/[/url]

kiwibonga    183
Someone on Reddit asked if teams could enter, what's the word on that?

Maybe we could promote somewhere else? Another forum here, or even on the main site?

XXChester    1364
My schedule is pretty busy next weekend but I am in and will try to get something together. I too am curious about current code bases etc, like am I able to use the framework I have built from the ground up, or does it have to be all from scratch? Can we get more information on the restrictions please.

Thanks.

swiftcoder    18426
Would be nice to get contests back up and running on a regular basis!

I don't have nearly enough free time to enter such a short-form competition (can we do a month-long sometime?), but I would be up to volunteer for judging duties, if that is amenable? I have a Win7 gaming desktop, a MacBook Air and an iPhone/iPad available to run entries on.

zer0wolf    1022
Updated contestants, judges, and rules.

kiwibonga, I don't think we need to advertise anywhere else. I PMed Gaiiden about getting some sort of plug on the main site. The spirit of this is to be a Gamedev.net community challenge ;) I don't know how I feel about random teams entering and competing against individual community members, but I'm willing to see what everyone feels about it :)

zer0wolf    1022
[quote name='AndyEsser' timestamp='1304958936' post='4808595']
Just to clarify, is it only individuals, or can teams join?
[/quote]
I'm leaning towards individuals, unless popular vote says otherwise.

kiwibonga    183
Sorry about the impulsive plugging... Hopefully any eventual contestants from the outside world will stay afterwards!

Personally, I'm okay with teams... Completing a project in 72 hours when you have to coordinate a team is an extra challenge in itself, plus teams may be more inclined to try ambitious stuff, which is risky. They'll be equally pressed to rush their game out, and judges probably won't be as lenient :)

[s]I'll be too busy during that weekend to get much programming done, so I can't enter as a contestant, but I'll be happy to judge.[/s]
[s]
[/s]
I'll be very busy that weekend, but I'll just take the time out of my sleep schedule. Count me in as a contestant.