• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MilchoPenchev

Purely Theoretical MMO game mechanics

This topic is 2781 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Before you run away screaming from another MMO

This was just a thought experiment, from a while back. I am not proposing that people help me build this. In fact, the real world has unfortunately pushed me away from video game development altogether.

That's part of the reason I wanted to share this (which i found on an old backup drive), instead of simply deleting it, in the hopes that it might peek someone's curiosity.

I've played some mmos, and I've also played quite a few single player RPG games. Some time ago, I felt like certain game mechanics could be done better. This started out as a collection of a few game mechanics and it grew for a while, ending up in this.

Since it's too long to post in here, I'm just attaching it as a txt file. You'll need a good txt viewer, and, preferably a widescreen monitor for some of the tables, and about 5 minutes of free time.

Hope you enjoy it.

Advertisement
Just to preface my response, I read a decent amount of it and skimmed the rest. I'm a bit curious as to what you feel makes your idea particularly noteworthy. I will openly admit I have nearly no game development experience, but I feel like your idea doesn't offer much beyond some numbers you happened to throw together relative to each other rather than coming up with an interesting concept or the framework for your game idea. Statistics frequently change in the game development process anyway, so having so many specific numbers when you should be focusing on the framework seems irrelevant as most if not all of the numbers would likely be changed if the game were to be completed.

Sorry... I don't mean to completely shut down your idea, I do see you have some ideas such as passive abilities of certain types of weapons among other concepts, but I just don't feel they offer nearly enough to develop a game. If anything it may be a good source of suggestions for small details in a game already being developed. I apologize if I came across as rude or condescending.

Five minutes, my ass. It'll take me an hour to digest and analyze that dog's breakfast. TL;DR. Bottom-line it for me, or this will be the totality of my response:

I think that's "pique", rather than "peek".

Edit: Skimmed it, didn't see anything particularly revolutionary. Times (in seconds) and values (in points) seemed fudged and unreliable. I suggest ample simulated playtesting with your dev team and general analysis and refinement to determine viability. Remember, there are very simple systems that are marketable and fun (Risk, Munchkin, Deathspank) and there are deeply sophisticated systems that are marketable and fun (D&D 3.5, WoW, EvE Online), so there's no direct correlation between pages of documentation and viability..

Multiplayer dynamics continue to be explored and developed, with lots of room for innovation. I don't think anyone has an algorithm for the "right" way to do it in any specific medium, and MMOs, for all their profit and progress, are still a new field. Keep exploring, keep innovating, keep discarding ideas. You should be able to find something that works.

knowledge | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 |
--------------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
Dmg % of base | 50% | 60% | 70% | 80% | 90% | 100%| 105%| 110%| 115%| 120%| 125%| 127%| 129%| 131%| 133%| 135%|[/quote]

Because Microsoft Excel is the best game on earth.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!