• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Bow_vernon

3D tile map

This topic is 2603 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im feeling alot of doubts now. I plan to build a 3d tilemap editor. That is, you just arrange the tile to build a complete map. The basic tile is 1x1 3d quads. But anyone ever did the same thing before? please share your experience, what is the pros and cons, and maybe a few hints on implmntatn. thx

Advertisement
I've made an editor for my game, though not 3D-tile based. I started working on the editor first and nearly finished it (I am still adding stuff to it, although less frequently). I have later found out that this was a bad way to start out, I should have worked on my game alongside the editor. This lead me to implement a lot of unnecessary features that never was needed. If I had kept my game in the same stage of development as my editor I would have seen what features was necessary. I also have to go back and add stuff to the editor that I hadn't thought of now when the game is coming along.

I want to do it in similar approach, but then how do you lock the map editing function so user cant modify or edit map/mission pack as he like? Anyway what do you use in your editor? heightmap? I plan to mix heightmap with 3d tiles, but too sleepy to move a finger x(

I use a linked list to store my objects. The objects are 3D cubes used to display a 2D isometric image. I use this method so I can use the z-buffer to do a isometric game. I could if I wanted also use ordinary 3D objects in the world.

My editor and the game are different programs, there is no edit-lock mechanism needed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!