• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Aqua Costa

Terrain LOD and PhysX

This topic is 2765 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If I use a terrain LOD system like geometry clipmaps, how do I create the PhysX Actor of the terrain?

Since only the visible parts of the terrain are being used (and the height its read on the GPU) I dont know how to create the PhysX actor...

Any ideas?

Advertisement
Hi,

I don't have a direct answer to your question. However, I'd strongly suggest you to separate your physic things from rendering things. That is, your graphics presentation of the terrain should be different from the physical presentation. You don't need and you should not use the same data for both.

So for your terrain entity you should have:

- Graphical presentation (use what ever LODding method you desire)
- Physical presentation (as required by your physics API)

Benefits of this is that changing one thing doesn't affect the other. Also, handling needs of graphics and physics with the same data structures can become complicated.

Cheers!

If I use a terrain LOD system like geometry clipmaps, how do I create the PhysX Actor of the terrain?

Since only the visible parts of the terrain are being used (and the height its read on the GPU) I dont know how to create the PhysX actor...

Any ideas?

lod system for rendering should not affect collision meshes at all, you should create physx collision meshes from original terrain data stored on disc (most detailed), if your terrain is really big it should be divided into patches so you can generate collision mesh for each patch that is close to the camera and remove it when the patch is away from camera (using lru cache for example), creating heightfield actor is very fast in physx so you can do this in runtime

with regards

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!