• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vidextreme

LOSL-BRDF

This topic is 2598 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

LOSL-BRDF stands for Light Oriented, Spike and Lobe - Bidirectional Reflectance Distribution Function. It's the term I coined for this lighting technique which is fast enough for real-time game application. In summary, it is a simplified approach of attaining to close to FULL BRDF in 2 channel look up tables. These tables are then oriented according to the light's direction, hence the LO of its name. The incident light then is translated into filters oriented to the right space and stored into 1D values stored into look up tables.

Here are the links to my blog that explains further the technique.
Quick summary
LOSL-BRDF Explained
LOSL-BRDF Explained part 2
LOSL-BRDF Showcase

LOSL_BRDF_05_05_11_w_txt_01.jpg

LOSL_BRDF_05_05_11_w_txt_02_chrome.jpg

LOSL_BRDF_05_05_11_w_txt_03_brushedmetal.jpg

LOSL_BRDF_05_05_11_w_txt_04_rough.jpg

LOSL_BRDF_05_05_11_w_txt_05_glass.jpg

LOSL_BRDF_05_05_11_w_txt_06_plastic.jpg

LOSL_BRDF_05_05_11_w_txt_08_jade.jpg

LOSL_BRDF_05_05_11_w_txt_07_ruby.jpg

LOSL_BRDF_05_05_11_w_txt_09_blinnphong.jpg

Just a note, these screenshots have the following specifications..

- No environmental mapping was used.
- No fancy global illumination and/or ambient occlusion
- No image-based lighting.
- Ambient color is black.
- Light color is white.
- Only one directional light (red line shows the current light direction)
- No shadow
- No diffuse texture. Only color for albedo.
- Running in real-time and fast enough for Directx 9 cards for implementing for games.
- Running in a Pre-light pipeline rendering with specular color (this is not noticable due to light color is white)
- LOSL-BRDF is rendered at light accumulation pass. This means additional lights placed in the scene will react according to the material assigned to surfaces.
- Assets 'borrowed' from UDK (model and normal map)

To those following my blog, I have yet to make a some sort white paper(1st attempt ;) ) to explain this in detail.
Cheers!

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!