• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
y2jsave

array of references doubt !

This topic is 2695 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello folks ..
i tried to make an array of references in c++ , but could not succeed .
Any anyone explain me why it's not possible ??

regards
y2jsave

Advertisement
[font="sans-serif"][font="sans-serif"]By definition.[/font]

[/font]
[font="sans-serif"]
There shall be no references to references, no arrays of references, and no pointers to references. The declaration of a reference shall contain an initializer (8.5.3) except when the declaration contains an explicit extern specifier (7.1.1), is a class member (9.2) declaration within a class declaration, or is the declaration of a parameter or a return type (8.3.5); see 3.1. A reference shall be initialized to refer to a valid object or function. [Note: in particular, a null reference cannot exist in a well-defined program, because the only way to create such a reference would be to bind it to the “object” obtained by dereferencing a null pointer, which causes undefined behavior. As described in 9.6, a reference cannot be bound directly to a bitfield. ]

—ISO/IEC 14882:1998(E), the ISO C++ standard, in section 8.3.2 [dcl.ref]

[/quote]

[/font]
[font="sans-serif"]Use array of pointers instead.[/font]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!