• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ukrzuel

Starting in browser game development?

This topic is 2602 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Good afternoon everyone,

I've taken some time away from programming in general, but would like to hop on board once again. My past experiences with programming games has been largely with the C family of languages. That being, C/C++/C#. I have programmed a lot for Windows in the past, but in this new day and age I would like to move up into browser based programming either using Java or Flash. I've used Allegro, SDL, XNA with C# for my games in the past. So my question starts like many others before me, which holds the most power and long term advantages, Java or Flash? I'm looking to stay with 2D programming for at least a year, then move onto 3D development. I'm not sure if any other languages exist for browsers. I'm not looking for the "easier" one out of the two, or any engines or game makers, as I do have a lot of years put into the C family, learning Java or Flash (Action Script) shouldn't be too difficult. I'm looking for the long term advantages to sticking with one of the two options. Networking would also be a factor later down the road, but not at this point in time.

Thank you.

Advertisement
I think Java is a good candidate seeing your requirements and experience, syntax-wise it's very similar to C#, so you shouldn't have any problems while learning the language itself

I'm no expert in browser-based game development though, so other people might have a different opinion on this

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!