• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Oisin

Forward Engineer C++ Code

This topic is 2778 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Are there any free programs that allow you to forward engineer C++ code from UML (or similar) diagrams?

Advertisement
Do you really prefer writing convoluted UML and OCL rather than a real programming language like C++? How do you know your tool won't carry you 95% of the way only to discover insurmountable bugs and limitations that sink your project? How can you expect automatic code generators to produce something good, unless you invest enormous effort and time writing detailed templates? Why do you think such brittle and tool dependent work would be less expensive and technically better than just programming in C++?
Common reasons for liking "model driven" development include not being good programmers in the "target" language, a source of overly complex, repetitive and verbose designs that seem a good fit for code generation; ignoring difficulties and hoping for a "magic wand" because of general ignorance; and predicting genuinely repetitive software to amortize the effort, which is an optimistic and megalomaniac attitude that might be somewhat justified by product lines of well understood and very similar variants of something simple, not in software as complex, varied, experimental and one-off as games.

There are a couple -- the most well known is "Rational Rose" by IBM.

As a technique, I have to caution, it seems to leave something to be desired. I've never really seen it work well -- the code produced tends to be verbose, boilerplatey and will lack the crunchy innards which you then need to write by hand anyway.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!