• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lpcstr

Windowing libraries

This topic is 2689 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need help deciding which windowing library to use for my game. My preferred requirements are that it be a cross platform library capable of creating multiple windows and OpenGL contexts and that it be written in C++ and be able to use object oriented callbacks. It also needs to be free for open source or proprietary use. It would be nice if it also had support for user input and threading.

Thanks.

Advertisement

I need help deciding which windowing library to use for my game. My preferred requirements are that it be a cross platform library capable of creating multiple windows and OpenGL contexts and that it be written in C++ and be able to use object oriented callbacks. It also needs to be free for open source or proprietary use. It would be nice if it also had support for user input and threading.

Thanks.

I think GLFW has most of what you need. It is very easy, simple and clean. I'm not sure if it can open multiple windows and I had problems in setting callbacks for objects member functions but it seems that it supports it.

wxWidgets has all your need (the new event "bind" feature in 2.9.1 allows you using OO callbacks). It also supports threading.
It's free, open source, and ... small.
I'm using it on a non-game application and I'm quite happy up to now.

Qt may also have all your need, though event is implemented in it's own signal/slot.
It's free, open source, and ... super BIG.

wxWidgets is a huge API, even if it's small when compared to QT. I don't want anything that large with that much extra functionality.

SFML does look pretty good, but it only supports <= OpenGL 3.2 contexts. OpenGL 4.1 is a must, as is multiple windows and I would like it to either support OO callbacks, or for it to be a C api that would allow for OO callbacks without resorting to globals. In fact, a C api would be just great, as I'm likely going to implement my own OO api around it for my engine, that way I can always take it out and use something else later if need be.

Thanks.

http://mygui.info/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!